General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
They were sitting/ They were sat

I think it's the former. It may be local dialect for the latter? Comments please.

Re: They were sitting/ They were sat

You are partly right. I say 'partly' because there is one use of "sit" where it helps form the passive mood:

(1) They were sitting at the back near the exit.
(2) They were sat in their seats by the usher.
(3) They were sat in good seats close to the stage.

In (1) "were sitting" is a present progressive construction denoting a (relatively) temporary activity in progress.

(2) is a passive construction with "were" + past participle "sat". It means that the usher helped them to their seats and to sit down.

By contrast, (3) is non-standard, mainly found in informal use only. Here "were sat" is a special use of "were" + past tense "sat", where it has an adjectival meaning rather like "they were relaxed/comfortable/happy in good seats ..."

Does that help?

PaulM

Thank you Paul, I realise now that my knowledge of the passive is in need of a little bit of study. Coryph.

How is "were sitting" considered present progressive when there's a past tense verb?

Misha
How is "were sitting" considered present progressive when there's a past tense verb?

Well spotted, Misha! I made a typo there: it should of course be 'past progressive'.

Thank you for pointing out my slip.

PaulM