General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
grammar

what is a declarative and interrogative sentences

Re: grammar

Hi Jamie

Declarative and interrogative are the two main sentence types in English; the others are exclamative and imperative. There are two kinds of interrogative: closed and open, so there are five sentence types altogether:

1. Declarative: Used for making a statement, for example "You are very careful".

2. Closed interrogative: Used for asking a closed question, for example "Are you very careful"?

3. Open interrogative: Used for asking an open question, for example "How careful are you"?

4. Exclamative: Used for making an exclamatory statement, for example "How careful you are"!

5. Imperative: Used for issuing a directive, for example "Be very careful".

Note that the closed question gets its name from the fact that there are a closed set of answers. For example, in "Are you very careful"?, there are just two answers, "Yes, I am careful" or "No, I am not careful".

On the other hand, in "How careful are you"?, the set of answers is open-ended. The reply might be "Well, most of the time, I'm careful" or perhaps "It depends on what I'm doing", or one of many other similar answers.

Do you see the difference?

PaulM