General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
"Many a"

Hi Mr Paul,

Would you please explain the usages of the expression: "many a"? Is it acceptable to use this in official documents?

Thanks!

Re: "Many a"

Hi Nifras

That's an interesting question. The expression "many a" is sometimes found in proverbs and in the optional frequency adjunct (adverbial) "many a time":

"There's many a slip twixt cup and lip". (proverb)

"I've told you many a ​time not to ​ride ​your ​bike on the ​pavement". (optional adjunct)

Elsewhere, it's rather formal or archaic. I would not think it appropriate for most official documents. What kind of official document were you thinking of?

Grammatically, it's a rather special complex determiner found in noun phrases. Nothing can intervene between "man" and "a"; they are inseparable. The "many" component indicates a large number, but the "a" has an individuating and distributive effect requiring a singular noun (like "slip" and "time" in my examples).

Does that help?

PaulM

Hi Paul

Yes, really helpful. I heard this expression “many a time” many a time (coincidentally though) throughout an English movie and impressed in its euphony. I wanted to incorporate this expression in my documents, with a plausible intent, which are related to Construction RFIs.

I see. Well, you may be able to use it, but there are less 'idiomatic' alternatives. For example:

"I've told you many times not to ​ride ​your ​bike on the ​pavement".

"I've told you so often not to ​ride ​your ​bike on the ​pavement".

"I've told you on countless occasions not to ​ride ​your ​bike on the ​pavement".

PaulM