General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Translation

Hi Mr Paul,

I am very keen to translate a few books from my native language (Tamil) to English.
Is there any guidelines available containing common techniques to translate anything (from any language) to English?

Thanks!

Re: Translation

Hi Nifras

I'm sorry but I can't help you on this occasion. There are some good websites on the Internet to help Tamil-speakers learn English, but they don't deal with translation techniques.

Where are you learning English? Are you a student in Sri Lanka?

PaulM

Thank you very much Mr Paul. Your kind responses are so admiring.

Yes, I am a Sri Lankan, working in Doha as a document controller. In spite of my university degree, I personally love linguistics studies, especially to deal with English and Arabic. To somewhat extent, I could still & forever consider myself as a student; and sooner I would find a proper way to completely dwell in language related arena.

Sorry if I have taken your much precious time.

Thank you very much!

Hi Nifras

Thank you for your reply. I'm so glad that you enjoy studying linguistics; me too!

You know, the best way of learning to speak a language is to spend some time with native speakers of that language. When we're very young. we don't learn to speak from books, we learn it from our parents by listening to them; by mimicking (copying) them; it comes naturally.

I believe that Arabic is the main language in Doha, but that English is commonly used as a second language, so I'm sure that will be of some help to you.

Keep up the good work!

PaulM