General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Subject/Object complement

Hi,

I would like to ask you if the subject (or object) complement is also constituent - if it can move in the sentence. I think yes but I am not really sure and I need it for my essay. Thank you for answering my question :)

Petra

Re: Subject/Object complement

Predicative complements (subjective or objective) are constituents; they function as complement of a verb.

Subject complements normally appear immediately after the verb ("Ed is happy") and object complements immediately after the object ("They elected him president")

PaulM

Thank you for reply, I know this where they appear but I need to know if they are consituents - if they can move in the sentence? Or if they stick on one place and can´t move?

My task is to differentiate which sentence members are independent constituents (they can move in sentence) and which sentence members not.

No, their linear position is fixed

PaulM

Thanks a lot :) May I ask, are there any other sentence functions (sentence members) which have this fixed positions, so they are not constituents?

I think you may be confusing 'constituent' with 'position'. Whether an element is fixed or not, it is still a constituent, or part of one. Subjective and objective complements usually have a fixed position, but they are still constituents. Some adverbs have a lot of freedom within the sentence, but they are still constituents.

PaulM