General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: SPAG

Paul
It's a grammar test - there's no associated context in SATs papers so there can't be a correct intended meaning. It shouldn't be open to contextual interpretation and so should either be grammatically correct or incorrect. I accept that 30 seven-year-old children is much more likely in a Class 2 but, if the grammar is correct in a grammar test, then surely this should also be an acceptable answer?
Dave

Yes, it should. When I initially looked at the link you sent me, I just skimmed the test as I was busy doing something else. I've now gone right through it and there are some other weaknesses too.

Regarding Q36, I can only imagine that they expect students to apply a degree of savvy and spot that only the second answer is plausible, even though the fourth one is also grammatically correct. But I agree with you; it shouldn't be that way; it's ambiguous.

I'll send them an email pointing out the flaw in Q36 and the other criticisms I have of the test.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

PaulM

Thanks Paul
I still think the fourth answer is also very plausible: an adult education centre/university class (Class 2) would have thirty-seven-year-olds. There's no context given and so it's all about the grammar. While it could be argued that the vast majority of 10/11 year-olds taking the tests would immediately assume seven-year-olds were in a class, rather than adults, that assumption shouldn't play any part in this grammar-specific test.

If it mentioned the context as 'Class 2 in a primary school' then fine, but otherwise I think it's a correct answer marked as incorrect.

Thank you for your time and expertise in response. I've also heard back from other grammar experts I emailed at the same time, all of whom agree that the sentence is grammatically correct. I haven't yet heard back from the STA though and my Year 6 class will be extremely interested in their response.

regards
Dave