General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Essential or non essential comma

Hi,

Do you think this sentence should have commas or should they be omitted.

I'm thinking omitted but I'm unsure.

My mate, Michael Gardyne, plays for them and he’s a right good player, but they are strong all over the park.

Re: Essential or non essential comma

Well, you could omit all the commas without causing any serious misunderstanding. But sometimes commas help readabilty and can emphasise contrasting facts.

These should be your considerations:

The second clause may either be referring the opposing team, or be reflecting the fact that your team's strength lies not just in your mate, but the entire team, and that too offers a contrasting view. Whichever is true, a comma between the two clauses probably helps here.

Too many unpunctuated coordinators like "and" and "but" are best avoided; they look like schoolboy writing. Potentially, you have two.

The subject of the first clause contains the two noun phrases "my mate" and "Michael Gardyne. Ask yourself if his name is essential in identifying who you're talking about, or just some non-essential supplementary information. If it's essential (restrictive) then no comma is required. If it's non-essential (non-restrictive), the leave the comma in.

So my choices are:

(1) My mate, Michael Gardyne, plays for them and he’s a right good player, but they are strong all over the park.

(2) My mate Michael Gardyne plays for them and he’s a right good player, but they are strong all over the park.

Use (1) if your mate's name is non-essential. Use (2) if his name is essential. I'd leave the comma before "but" for the reason I gave.

PaulM

Re: Essential or non essential comma

Paul sir is correct . He explained the omission or inclusion of COMMA very nicely. Hats off to you, Paul Sir.