General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Troubled, Confused, Disturbed - Over these exact words

Normally the suffix, -ed, is used for chronological tense. However, sometimes it is used in words like the ones in the subject that are not past tense.

"I am troubled/confused/disturbed/annoyed/worried/pleased/overjoyed/etc." these are all present tense, yet the only real definition or explanation of the suffix -ed (that I have found) is that it is past tense.

I am looking for the other definition, the one that covers these words that refer to the present. For some reason all the words like this I can think of are words that describe emotions or feelings.

Please help by explaining this alternate meaning of -ed and how it works. I looked for present imperfect tense, transitive verbs, and other things but I couldn't find this function of -ed mentioned.

Re: Troubled, Confused, Disturbed - Over these exact words

The -ed suffix is also used to form past participle verb-forms, many of which can also be adjectives functioning as predicative complements in complex-intransitive clauses. Adjectival predicatives ascribe some property to the subject or object ("Ed is nice/fat/clever"; "I consider Ed nice/intelligent/lazy"); those formed of past participles often describe emotions and feelings or other meanings, cf. "Kim is "married/engaged/injured/lost".

Does that help?

PaulM

Re: Troubled, Confused, Disturbed - Over these exact words

Yes, thank you for helping me out. :}