General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sentence Structure

Could someone explain the structure of the following paragraph? i am particularly interested in how the pharse "airport paving the way....." is constructured.

----------------

"He expressed happiness that the MOCA had agreed in-principle for the construction of a regular/permanent terminal building at the Vijayawada airport paving the way for converting the one opened into a cargo centre on Thursday".
------------

Re: Sentence Structure

"He expressed happiness that the MOCA had agreed in principle for the construction of a regular/permanent terminal building at the Vijayawada airport, paving the way for converting the one opened into a cargo centre on Thursday".

The sentence comprises a declarative clause reporting what the referent of "he" was happy about. Within the matrix clause is the underlined embedded subordinate clause which expresses the result of MOCA's agreement.

The subordinate non-finite clause "paving the way for converting the one opened into a cargo centre on Thursday" is called an adjunct, an optional element in clause structure. Adjuncts are used to express such notions as where, when, how, why etc., the situation in the main clause occurred (or occurs/will occur). In this case, the clause is a result adjunct since it expresses the result of MOCA's agreement in principle for the construction of a regular/permanent terminal building at the Vijayawada airport.

Note that it would be possible to insert the connective adverb "thus" to emphasise the 'resultive' nature of the subordinate clause that follows it.

"..., thus paving the way for converting the one opened into a cargo centre on Thursday".

Is that what you wanted to know?

PaulM

Perfect.I understood now.
Please note that there was no comma before 'paving' in the original sentence.Is the comma necessary?

Yes, to avoid it looking as though the subordinate paving clause is modifying (i.e. part of) the noun phrase "Vijayawada airport", which it isn't.

The paving clause is actually a supplementary adjunct, the kind that is usually set apart intonationally (in speech) from the rest of the clause by a slight pause, and marked off in writing by punctuation such as a comma, dash, or parentheses.

PaulM

Thanks a lot for the detailed explanation.

Could you explain the following sentence? i am struggling to understand the infinitive pharse...

---
It is no secret that Indian youth face mounting pressure to excel in academics and secure a notable position in a respectable field
---

I think the infinitive pharse modifies noun pressure. Am i correct?

Where can i learn more on infinitive pharses?

Thanks

anyone please clarify

"It is no secret that Indian youth face mounting pressure to excel in academics and secure a notable position in a respectable field"

Not quite: the infinitival clause is a complement of "pressure", not a modifier.

Complements complete the verb phrase; modifiers add optional non-essential information.

PaulM