General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Sentence Structure

Perfect.I understood now.
Please note that there was no comma before 'paving' in the original sentence.Is the comma necessary?

Yes, to avoid it looking as though the subordinate paving clause is modifying (i.e. part of) the noun phrase "Vijayawada airport", which it isn't.

The paving clause is actually a supplementary adjunct, the kind that is usually set apart intonationally (in speech) from the rest of the clause by a slight pause, and marked off in writing by punctuation such as a comma, dash, or parentheses.

PaulM

Thanks a lot for the detailed explanation.

Could you explain the following sentence? i am struggling to understand the infinitive pharse...

---
It is no secret that Indian youth face mounting pressure to excel in academics and secure a notable position in a respectable field
---

I think the infinitive pharse modifies noun pressure. Am i correct?

Where can i learn more on infinitive pharses?

Thanks

anyone please clarify

"It is no secret that Indian youth face mounting pressure to excel in academics and secure a notable position in a respectable field"

Not quite: the infinitival clause is a complement of "pressure", not a modifier.

Complements complete the verb phrase; modifiers add optional non-essential information.

PaulM