General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
present perfect/past simple; conditionals

A sentence has been bothering me for some time

A farmer in the West of England now holds sheep races on a regular basis, and during the past year over 100 000 people have turned up to watch the proceedings.

Doesn't the time reference in the second half of the sentence (during the past year) take the Past Simple? Shouldn't it be

... 100 000 people turned up to watch ...

Another question, in the sentence

If it weren't for your timely help, Thomas wouldn't have done so well in the test.

isn't the first half of the sentence wrong? Third conditional says it should be

If it hadn't been for your timely help, ...

Is that so?

Re: present perfect/past simple; conditionals

'during' is a poor choice:

A farmer in the West of England now holds sheep races on a regular basis, and over the past year more than 100 000 people have turned up to watch the proceedings.

What tense is used depends on what is said next:
"...more than 100 000 people have turned up to watch the proceedings. Organisers of this, the final event for the season, are confident of a bumper crop of eager spectators who will have travelled hundreds of miles to be part of this new, seemingly so un-English a sport."

"...more than 100 000 people turned up to watch the proceedings. Other farmers in the district, noting the popularity of the event, are now organising other similar events; so don't be surprised when next you hear about the 200 metre Chicken Scramble and the 75 metre Porky Pig Trotter events in the near future."

You can't learn how tenses are used from single sentences.

This answer is great, it completely makes sense to me.
Can you answer my other question (about the third conditional sentence), please.

Yes, you are correct:

"If it weren't for your timely help, Thomas wouldn't have done so well in the test."
Both the help given, and the test, are in the past, so:

"If it hadn't been for your timely help, Thomas wouldn't have done so well in the test."