General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What kind of information is held in the predicate?

Good evening! Guys, I need help! Could you answer this question, please?

Cambridge Online Dictionary says that the predicate is the part of a sentence that contains the verb and gives information about the subject*. But what kind of information is held in the predicate? I mean, what is that information about? Can we say that the predicate gives information about the action(s) taken by the subject/the subject's state(s) (e.g. 'he only knows his first name.', 'I don’t know his surname.', 'that girl is very beautiful.', 'the toy is in her room', etc.) or experience(s) of the subject (e.g. 'he got hit.', 'he died of ebola.', 'he was arrested.', etc.). How did I come up with this idea (action(s)/state(s)/experience(s)/)? If a predicate is a set of verb phrases (a certain number of verb phrases), then the predicate depends upon that verb phrase(s) in terms of information, right? In other words it is a verb phrase that determines what kind of information the predicate gives about the subject, right? Talking of a verb phrase, according to the cambridge online dictionary it describes an action, condition, or experience*.

*http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/predicate
*http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/verb

Re: What kind of information is held in the predicate?

May I ask what country you live in?

PaulM

Re: What kind of information is held in the predicate?

I am from Kazakhstan, and it is 10:36PM in here. :) Basically, English is my second language, and I do know that I do a lot of errors because I still have a long way to go.:) And, basically, my native language is Russian.
What about you, sir?(where are you from?) Are you ADMIN of this website(forum)?
Are you an English tutor? (or better) I mean, the way you answered my questions-it is beatiful. I mean, the language of the answers shows that you know a great deal about English grammar.
Oh, sir, could you, please, give an answer to the question than I posted as well? :)
Thanks in advance! :)