General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Comma test

It isn't used as " a word or phrase inserted as an explanation or afterthought".
What do you think 'well' means in that sentence?

Are these definitions and synonyms of the word well not explanations? Using the first definition of well below, couldn't the test sentence just as easily say: "The office can handle, in a good or satisfactory way, four hundred applications per day"?

Adverb

1.in a good or satisfactory way.
"the whole team played well"
synonyms: satisfactorily, nicely, correctly, properly, fittingly, suitably, appropriately

2.in a thorough manner.
"add the mustard and lemon juice and mix well"
synonyms: carefully, closely, attentively, rigorously, in depth, exhaustively, in detail, meticulously, scrupulously, conscientiously, methodically, completely, comprehensively, fully, extensively, thoroughly, effectively

1. but if an adverb, why is is separated from the verb it modifies???

2. then it would be written: "The office can well handle four hundred applications per day"?
To me, it's similar to:
"I got angry and, well, I hit him." where 'well' has the sense of '...and, OK I admit it, I hit him.

I can't get passed that I see it as an interjection. Its meaning in the given sentence might be:
"The office can handle, I think / in my opinion/ I'd say, four hundred applications per day"?