General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
gerund vs. verbal noun

2/18/2018

Dear Moderator Paul,

I'm trying to learn verbs in another language from a website. I think they might have partially confused verbal nouns with gerunds.

They have 'identification' listed as the verbal noun for 'identify,' rather than 'identifying.' I think this is correct. They have 'cancellation' listed as the verbal noun for 'cancel.' I think this is correct. They have 'opposition' listed as the verbal noun for 'oppose,' and I think that's correct. Finally, they have 'sitting' listed as the verbal noun for 'sit,' and I'm pretty sure that's also correct.

Anyway, please compare what they have listed as the verbal nouns for the verbs 'identify,' 'oppose,' 'sit' and 'cancel' with the following:

1. 'insure'
They have listed 'insuring' as the verbal noun for 'insure.' Should it really be 'insurance'?

2. 'give'
They have listed 'giving' as the verbal noun for 'give.' Should it really be 'gift'?

3. 'inject'
They have listed 'injecting' as the verbal noun for 'inject.' Should it really be 'injection'?

4. 'cheat'
They have listed 'none' as the verbal noun for 'cheat.' Should it really be 'cheat'? (a man could be a cheat or a thief or a crook)

5. 'guard'
They have listed 'guarding' as the verbal noun for 'guard.' Should it really be 'guard' or perhaps 'guardian'? (a man could be a guard or a guardian)

6. 'leave'
They have listed 'leaving' as the verbal noun for 'leave.' Should it really be 'leavings'?

7. 'earn'
They have listed 'relief' as the verbal noun for 'earn.' Should it really be 'earnings'?

8. 'measure'
They have listed 'measuring' as the verbal noun for 'measure.' Should it really be 'measurement'?

9. 'crawl'
They have listed 'crawling' as the verbal noun for 'crawl.' Should it really be 'crawl'? (i.e. “Traffic slowed to a crawl.”)

10. 'return'
They have listed 'returning' as the verbal noun for 'return.' Should it really be 'return'? (i.e. “...return on an investment.”)

11. 'dig'
They have listed 'digging' as the verbal noun for 'dig.' Should it really be 'dig'? (i.e. “It was a government project; the paleontological dig was finally completed after 28 years.”)

12. 'love'
They have listed 'none' as the verbal noun for 'love.' Should it really be 'love or loving'? (or is the term 'loving' not really grammatically proper as a verbal noun?)

13. 'enjoy'
They have listed 'none' as the verbal noun for 'enjoy.' Should it really be 'enjoyment'?

14. 'use'
They have listed 'using' as the verbal noun for 'use.' Should it really be 'use (pronounced like 'noose') or usage'?

Thank you for your consideration,

John