General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
semicolon or colon

Hi! I'm trying to punctuate this sentence with either a semicolon or a colon. I cannot make it two separate sentences. It has to be one. Here's the sentence:
"This meeting has a special purpose: that is, it will provide on opportunity for our staff to become better acquainted."
I know that you would use a semicolon if the two sentences were related, but I was taught that you use a colon if the two sentences are very closely related. The second sentence is telling what the special purpose was. That is why I used a colon. Does anyone have any thoughts about this?

Re: semicolon or colon

I'd leave the colon, and drop the 'that is'.
What do others think?

Re: Re: semicolon or colon

I agree. I would use the colon and drop the "that is" too. There is a section on this here.

Re: Re: Re: semicolon or colon

Thank you for your opinions. Unfortunately, I cannot drop the "that is". I need to leave the sentence exactly as it is, but I need to insert either a semicolon or a colon. I have come to the conclusion to use the semicolon because that is the way this professor teaches. Thanks again for your help!

Re: Re: Re: Re: semicolon or colon

In that case, Robin, you have chosen the correct version. In your sentence, "that is" is known as a transitional phrase (i.e. it bridges the gap between two halves of the sentence). Transitional phrases are often preceded by semicolons. More common examples are: "however", "as a result" and "consequently".

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: semicolon or colon

Thanks Craig,

I ended up getting the answer correct