General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The structure of this sentence

Temporary-employment agencies benefit not only from the increasing demand for clerical workers but also from the higher profits made in placing highly paid professionals, requests for whom have increased in the recent wave of corporate takeovers.

This is a sentence from GMAT test, and it is a right sentence, but I think it is a run-on sentence(S+V,S+V). Can any one help me to figure out what structure it is.

Re: The structure of this sentence

There is nothing wrong with the sentence. It is not a run-on sentence. The second half of the sentence is a relative clause (with its own verb) used to provide information about the "professionals". The comma is included because the clause is not required to identify the "professionals" - it just adds additional information. Had it been required to identify them, then there would have been no comma.

e.g. ...but also from the higher profits made in placing highly paid professionals with whom a contract has been agreed.
(i.e. not those who do not have a contract.)
This is covered in Grammar Monster here.

Re: Re: The structure of this sentence

Maybe ". . . from not only . . . but also" might be cleaner than ". . . not only from . . . but also from . . . ."

Just my 2 cents! Just found this site. It's fun!