General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Grammar and meaning

Hi,
Could someone out there please help by analysing the two sentences below. I would like to know if both are properly constructed (grammatically) and whether they mean the same...and if they do not what the differences are.
1.How does Road Safety and Sustainable education impact casualty reduction and environmental protection?
2.How do Road Safety and Sustainable education impact casualty reduction and environmental protection?

Am I right to think that the word education in the first sentence refers to 'sustainable' only

Re: Grammar and meaning

Hi Ken,

I like #2 better. If you were to turn the first sentence around using the same words in it, it wouldn't sound correct. The same is not true of the second sentence. I believe it is called verb corrugation. I do, you do, he/she/it does, we do, you do, they do. If you have two nouns, you need the plural verb.

I hope that helped.

Re: Re: Grammar and meaning

Hi,
Thank you for your response...could you comment on the meaning as well.

Re: Grammar and meaning

I would tend to agree with you about education referring only to Sustainable. I would think if you wanted it to refer to both, you would need to say this:
"How do Sustainable and Road Safety education impact casualty reduction and environmental protection?"

The word "sustainable" cannot stand alone as a noun. I hope that helps

I do not see the need for capital letters. If Sustainable Education and Road Safety Education are proper nouns, then "Education" should get a capital letter too. Using Robin's change of word order (I think that works well), I would opt for:

How do sustainable and road-safety education impact casualty reduction and environmental protection?"

How does sustainable-and-road-safety education impact casualty reduction and environmental protection?

(The whole point of hyphens is to eliminate ambiguity. I think they do the job perfectly in these cases.)

Hi,
Thank you both. It is now much clearer.