General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
comma and/no comma and?

I was taught in college to use a comma before "and"- in a list- if the last two items are seperate. What do you think?

1) He likes the red, blue, and black cars.

or

2) He likes the red, blue and black cars.

Number Two seems to suggest that the "blue" and
"black" refer to a two tone car.

Re: comma and/no comma and?

Dean,

There is a lot of leniency on this subject - that is my first point. However, I would not use a comma before 'and' in list. Your two-tone car sentence would be:
He likes the red and blue and black cars.
or
He likes the red, and blue and black cars.

It can't be:

He likes the red, blue and black cars.

The rule advocated by Grammar Monster is only use a comma before and (in a list) only to eliminate ambiguity.

The subject is covered here.

Regards

Craig

Re: Re: comma and/no comma and?

I am confused. I took Text Editing Class last semester, and we were taught to put comma before "and" in list. The book we used was "THE GREGG REFERENCE MANUAL" Tenth Edition by William A. Sabin.

Re: Re: Re: comma and/no comma and?

Christy,

Thanks for confirming my recollection. However, it seems that in the work place, Craig is right. But, he did preface his responce by noting there is a lot of leniency in this area.

Re: Re: Re: Re: comma and/no comma and?

The comma before "and" (and before "or" and "nor" for that matter) is governed by your style guide. If you have no style guide, let your preference be your guide.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: comma and/no comma and?

well this stuf is like totally intense. This stuff really floats my kite and flys my boat!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: comma and/no comma and?

Edward,

I think you'll find it should be "...flies my boat". Thicko.

Re: comma and/no comma and?

If you were talking about a two-tone car, wouldn't "blue-and-black" be a compound adjective and therefore hyphenated?

Re: Re: comma and/no comma and?

OOOoooooooh, well spotted!

Re: Re: Re: comma and/no comma and?

Thank you