General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
4 pt grammar question

Help myinstructor is calling this a grammar error.
Why is this sentence wrong:

Further, he explains, it “…is written about black people, is intended to educate a black audience to its need for liberation, and should derive its style or technique from black culture” (2).

Re: 4 pt grammar question

I cannot see anything wrong with it. It is a little unwiedly, but that's your choice.

explains, it “…is < This bit is a little untidy, but it's not wrong in my view.

You could have gone for:

He further explains that it "is written about black people, is intended to educate a black audience to its need for liberation, and should derive its style or technique from black culture.”

You do not need the elipsis (...). Also, if the quote ends in a full stop, then I would keep it in the quotation. It looks a little tidier. The comma after "liberation" is not necessary, but I would keep it because that list item (and should derive its style or technique from black culture) includes its own conjunction (or).

In short, yours is okay grammatically, but it could be a little tidier in my opinion.

Re: Re: 4 pt grammar question

thank you for the response. i have posed the same question to the instructor, and now she wants me to send my paper (graded by her) back her in the mail so that she can see the context of the sentence. why cant she just tell me yea/nay, wrong/right if this is a true error. i dont trust her. and this B in her class is affecting my 4.0 status. i am so irritated i dont know what to do. nevertheless, thank you for your reponse once again.

Re: Re: Re: 4 pt grammar question

I predict a riot...I predict a riot