General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
verb grammar question

Is it grammatically incorrect to split the verb as in this sentence, "The park has in turn served as a firebreak, airstip and golf course."?

Is it better to write, "the park has served in turn as a firebreak, airstrip and gold course"?

Re: verb grammar question

I think both of your examples are fine. I judge this to be down to how you want your sentence to sound.

I don't judge this to be splitting the verb, but merely a question of position the adverb of time 'in turn'. There is a lot of leniency on placing adverbs in sentences. It is preferential to keep them near there verb, but it's not essential. If it's too far from the verb it can sometimes be confusing as it could pertain to another part of the sentence.

With regard to splitting separable verbs, I try to keep any prepositions away from the end of the sentence. e.g.

She asked me to turn the pie over.

She asked me to turn over the pie.

This is just because I try to avoid ending a sentence in a preposition, but to be honest, both the sentences above sound fine to me. This rule is becoming outdated in my view.

Rgds

AAAaaaghghhhhh!!!!! there error!

I bashed that last reply out a bit quickly, methinks.

I think both of your examples are fine. I judge this to be down to how you want your sentence to sound.

I don't judge this to be splitting the verb, but merely a question of positioning the adverb of time 'in turn'. There is a lot of leniency on placing adverbs in sentences. It is preferential to keep them near their verb, but it's not essential. If it's too far from the verb, it can sometimes be confusing as it could pertain to another part of the sentence.

I was considering deleting my previous entry, but it just goes to show how easy it is for grammar errors creep in. (< preposition!)

Re: verb grammar question

Thanks for your response(s)! I just discovered this website - very cool!!