General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
You and Me or You and I

I am typing a script out for work and I cant firgure out how I should phrase this.

Ok it says;
Auto dealers actually buy warranties from companies like Cont. and then turn around and sell them to people like "you and I" or is it "you and me"?

I have about 6 to 1 saying it is you and I and I wanna say that it is you and me.

please help

Re: You and Me or You and I

Mmm, another hard question. Here is the detail.

If your sentence were shorter:

...sell them to you and I.
...sell them to you and me.

then the second version (using 'me') is definitely correct. However, the use of the word 'like' confuses the ruling.

Here are the facts:

...to people like you and I

the word 'to' is preposition which governs the objective case, which means 'I' would turn to 'me'. The question now is whether the word 'like' removes the power of the word 'to'.

I suspect you could argue this both ways. I favour 'me' because I judge that the phrase 'people like you and I/me' is the direct object of the sentence and should be written in the objective case.

In summary, you could get away with either. I can better argument for 'me' than 'I'. But, go with your style preference in this example.

Re: You and Me or You and I

It's "you and me."

If you take out the "you" we would all say "sell to me." Adding the "you" into it doesnt change the fact that "me" is the correct one in this context.