General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
At some point during a weekend

My kids teacher corrected a report where my daughter said she went hose riding in the weekend. The teacher said she should have written on the weekend. In or on - which should it be?

Re: At some point during a weekend

Hi,

I think (and I'm still new to this grammar stuff so I could be wrong) it's "on". If you think about it as a single day it makes more sense: for example, if she had been riding on Sunday she would have said "I went horse-riding on Sunday", rather than "I went horse-riding in Sunday". I could be wrong though, so would love a definite answer if anyone else knows!

(Also just to be totally picky - it's your "kid's" teacher; whereas you wrote your "kids" teacher... I just did the apostrophe lesson which is why I just picked that up).

Cheers

Re: Re: At some point during a weekend

I am not sure I like either. Different adverbs of time demand different prepositions. Days of the week demand "on", as pointed out. But, the word "weekend" works best with during to my mind.

If I had to choose between in and on, I would opt for on.

Re: Re: At some point during a weekend

I would like to clarify that when you mentioning the day, I mean Monday, Tuesday ..... then you will require to indicate "on" NOT "in".