General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Either and Neither

I think there is an error under "Either and Neither". It said use plural when one of the elements is plural and there is example: Either budgies or cat has to go.If you push right it says wrong. I thought that if singular subject and one plural subject are connected by or nor, the verb agrees with the subject nearest to the verb.

Re: Either and Neither

Your point is not logical, I'm afraid.

Rule: "use plural when one of the elements is plural".
Example: "Either budgies or cat has to go."
(Note: One of the elements is plural (budgies) and the verb is singular. Therefore, this is wrong according to the rule offered.)

That is why your entry is not logical.

That aside, the ruling you mention is called the 'proximity rule', and many do use this to determine the conjugation of the verb. Grammar Monster advocates the first ruling. In truth, many of the leading grammar references cannot agree on this matter, and I judge there is a lot of leniency in which verb to choose.

Thanks for your entry. I am minded to include the proximity rule in the next up date of Grammar Monster to present the choice.

Thanks

GM

Re: Re: Either and Neither

Yes, this is a controvertial, interesting, and sometimes strange topic.

a. Either the cats or your mother-in-law has to go.
b. Either the cats of your mother-in-law have to go.

I like "a" better, personally, and I think that the proximity rule seems to be the reason it sounds better to my ear. How do they hit your ear when you ignore all recieved knowledge and just react? Say them aloud. Do you agree with my opinion?

The same questions could be asked of verbs with odd compound subjects like this:

a. Remind me, is it the kids or Mom who are supposed to do it?
b. Remind me, is it the kids or Mom who is supposed to do it?

Which sounds best to you? If the proximity rule seems to make you feel that "b" sounds better, notice
that doesn't seem to be the case with "am".

a. Is it Mary or I who am supposed to go?
b. Is it Mary or I who is supposed to go?

I'm betting you're like me who find the proximity rule false in the case of the verb "am", and hear "b" as correct and "a" as awful-sounding.

Interesting! Want to try some other odd examples I've though of?

a. The girls or the boys are supposed to go.
b. The girls or Dad (are) is supposed to go.
c. Dad or the girls are supposed to go.
c. I or Dad is supposed to go.
d. Dad or I is supposed to go.
e. Dad or I am supposed to go.
e. The girls or I are supposed to go.
f. The girls or I am supposed to go.
g. I or the girls are supposed to go.

It seems to me that there is something odd and possibly not completely understood happening here, don't you think?