General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Subject / Verb agreement

There is a limited number of seats available.

OR

There are a limited number of seats available.

Re: Subject / Verb agreement

are - because you're talking about a plural. More than one seat, so use are.

Re: Re: Subject / Verb agreement

"Are" is the easy answer, a rule of thumb. I think there is more to it. "Seats" is the theme of the sentence, hence "are", yet an indefinite article begs for "is". "A limited number" is the rheme of the sentence, and is inserted for a reason, hence "is", yet "number" is a quantifier, so quite reasonably attracts "are". As a spoken expression it would commonly contract to "there's", and the answer is contained therein, yet in printed form "are" is read quite comfortably. Furthermore, whether or not the subject is animate might bear relation to the verb: Liverpool is a well-supported club, but Everton are a good team, for example. I digress. The author must decide upon the theme of the sentence between "a limited number" and "seats", then insert his verb accordingly.

Right, so you gave me a tenner...

Re: Re: Re: Subject / Verb agreement

A box of tapes is....

I mention this example to prove that the word ‘seats’ is irrelevant. It’s all about the word number, which can be plural or singular (it acts like a collective noun; e.g. group).

A group is
A group are

A number is
A number are

All are correct. Context determines the verb. It's not related to articles (a / the).

There is a section on collective nouns here.