General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sentence sounds wrong...and probably is ;)

This sentence sounds wrong to me, any suggestions?

"The product shall be able to work in normal office environment without neither mechanical properties degradation, interaction with other materials nor structure- / color changes.

neither nor double negatives

The product shall be able to work in normal office environment without neither mechanical properties degradation, interaction with other materials nor structure- / color changes.

'shall be able' is unusual. If you're requesting a specification to a manufacturer, then this works, else just use 'will' or 'works'.

This is double negative. You probably mean without either...or...

Re: neither nor double negatives

There are a couple of problems. First, if you use either or neither there can only be two choices. I see three choices so neither of them are appropriate. Also, shall isn't appropriatly used. Will (if you're certain) or should (if you're speculating) should be used in its place. Next, the clauses should have approximately the same structure (same word order or syntax usage) to enhance readability. Finally, the "/" should be replaced with "or." So, I believe the sentence should read something like the sentence that follows.

"The product will (or should) be able to work in a normal office environment without degradation of mechanical properties, interaction with other materials, or changes to the structure or shape."

I hope this make sense.