General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Commas and periods.

I find this site interesting and questionable.

There is no style manual in American or British English that would suggest that the following punctuation is correct. A person needs to merely read any book or periodical from a reputable publisher for plenty of examples. The following is a quote from this site:

The words in bold are in the objective case. In English, only pronouns (words like "I", "he", "her", etc.) change in the objective case. For example: "I" changes to "me", and "he" changes to "him".)

While the information that is being discussed is correct, all of the commas and the last period are in the wrong place. All should be before the closing quotation marks.

Who runs this site?

Re: Commas and periods.

Hello, American person

This site is run by a Brit. Whilst UK and US conventions are covered, the text on the pages follows UK conventions.

Reference your "There is no style manual in American or British English..", I think a little more homework is required.

British English follows logic. US English shoves all punctuation within the quotation marks regardless of logic.

Examples:

UK: Did she say, "I love you"?

US: Did she say, "I love you?"

UK: The quotation is not a question, but the sentence is. That's why the question mark is outside the speech marks.

US: Yeah, whatever.....stick all punctuation inside and don't worry about it.

Thanks for your post, but you're being a little US-centric.

I prefer the UK version, but the US version is simpler. I think there's a theme there.

Only joshing. Thanks for your post.

Best rgds

GM