Return to Website

The Ivy Division Forum

WELCOME to THE IVY DIVISION Message Forum 
THIS website is a private SUPPORT SITE for 4th ID veterans, active duty soldiers, family members, friends and everyone who supports our troops no matter how you feel about our leaders. Troublemakers, gossips. trolls, liars, etc are NOT welcome here. Posts that defame,, humiliate and/or intimidate other posters or the webmaster will be deleted without notice or comment. Please read the rules on the Main Page, thank you!
This forum has a long history, by interent standards anyway-unfortunately it has been abandoned for far too long due to real life circumstances knocking the heck out of what had been my very real desire to keep this board alive and well forever so that all of us could meet here and communicate with each other everyday.

I'm not sure that a forum like this is even needed nowadays since the advent of facebook, etc...but I hope that this once thriving BB does bring some of us back together again and that maybe some new folks will join us as well!   
Webmaster: Bob Poff, C-1-8, 1968-1969 robert8h@yahoo.com
Thank You for Visiting The Ivy Division.com!
Open 24 Hours a Day, 365 Days a Year
Friends of The Ivy Division
A.B.,HONORARY GRUNT!
jinks' www.vietnamvets.com messageboard
Jim Bury's Ivy Dragoons website
Redleg's 4ID Forum

The IVY Division is back, the love of my life
Julie and I are married and we welcome
you Back to the IVY Division Forum!!!

The Ivy Division Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Maybe I shouldn't ask.

Don't know realy how to ask this. Is it uncommon for
a Senior NCO career Soldier (21 Years) to have delayed re-actions of PTSD? I know I struggled with
the past for Years. It got worse as the years passed.
The depression got so bad for a while that I started seeing a Psychologist. I guess My question is: Will You ever outgrow the pains of combat? I'm currently
enrolled in Vet group counseling, and have a claim pending. Is it possible that I've suffered from this all a long, but never admitted it. I suppose I'm the only one that can answer that. Seems the past few years this monster has constantly attacked Me. Am I
imagining this, or is this the way it is? I'm really
trying to get the right counseling, because it has taken it's toll these past few years. 2 major problems: Isolation, and Denial. I'm all ears, so let's have it You "experts"

Re: Maybe I shouldn't ask.

FormerGrunt

I can answer all your questions with Yes.

However, Its entirely up to you to decide where you want to talk about things like you are going threw, but,,I tend to believe that some things are better discussed more on a private nature than on an open Board. That's just my opinion, I think that the Stressor or Trigger level can be extremely enhanced on an open Forum . But, like I said it's entirely up to you.

I would be more than happy to try and answer your questions or help any way possible threw email. I don't consider myself an expert, but I will say I have been in this stuff for many years.

My best to you..
jinks

I agree with Jinx, I would answer yes to your questions also. I feel that CaREER sOLODIERS ARE IN DENIAL MORE THAN NON CAREER SOLDIERS, i SUGGEST THAT YOU GO TO THE LINKS PAGE OF THE 10TH CAV WEB SITE AT 10THCAVCHAPTER.ORG THERE IS A LOT OF GOOD INFORMATION on PTSD gleaned from other web sites and I think that problems should best be discussed by E-mail with people that have been through thinking straight sessions or forums than general discussion forums. Your local VA hospital or clinic should be able to refer you to a theraphy group.

Good advice. Oh don't worry, I've been well educated
about what not to post here. Learned that lesson
way back during the 4th ID deployment.

Former Grunt: Again the answer is yes. I don't know if it is denial, or simply being busy, but many Vets, my self included, didn't recognize symptoms until we stopped working. Some of the symptoms (drinking, temper, etc.) might have been there all along, but we didn't recognize them for what they were. We didn't think we were depressed because we were able to keep busy concentrating on work. When we did feel down we could always find another reason for it. As I look back, I can see certain problems I was having, even while working, which I didn't attribute to PTSD at the time but were probably related.
I don't think any of us will ever entirely outgrow the pain; but the good news is we can learn to cope with it. LIFE CAN BE GOOD AGAIN.

PS: Never be afraid to ask. That's what Brothers are for.

Thanks "Doc"
I can say You are absolutely right, since I've been
involved with group therapy at the Vet center I can see a definite change in My attitude. There is 16
"Nam" vets in that group, and each one can say:
"been there, done that" Thanks for the encouraging words.
Topp