Return to Website

The Ivy Division Forum

WELCOME to THE IVY DIVISION Message Forum 
THIS website is a private SUPPORT SITE for 4th ID veterans, active duty soldiers, family members, friends and everyone who supports our troops no matter how you feel about our leaders. Troublemakers, gossips. trolls, liars, etc are NOT welcome here. Posts that defame,, humiliate and/or intimidate other posters or the webmaster will be deleted without notice or comment. Please read the rules on the Main Page, thank you!
This forum has a long history, by interent standards anyway-unfortunately it has been abandoned for far too long due to real life circumstances knocking the heck out of what had been my very real desire to keep this board alive and well forever so that all of us could meet here and communicate with each other everyday.

I'm not sure that a forum like this is even needed nowadays since the advent of facebook, etc...but I hope that this once thriving BB does bring some of us back together again and that maybe some new folks will join us as well!   
Webmaster: Bob Poff, C-1-8, 1968-1969 robert8h@yahoo.com
Thank You for Visiting The Ivy Division.com!
Open 24 Hours a Day, 365 Days a Year
Friends of The Ivy Division
A.B.,HONORARY GRUNT!
jinks' www.vietnamvets.com messageboard
Jim Bury's Ivy Dragoons website
Redleg's 4ID Forum

The IVY Division is back, the love of my life
Julie and I are married and we welcome
you Back to the IVY Division Forum!!!

The Ivy Division Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
BDA, B Co. 1/12, '67

I just finished reading a story in the Ivy Leaves about a BDA done by B&C Co 1/12 in July of '67, in the Ia Drang Valley. In a battle
that lasted an hour and a half, the NVA all but destroyed B company, which was their initial goal. We were too predictable, it seems to me. The NVA lured us into the trap, by having a large force move into the Ia Drang.
They stay there long enough for our sensors, and patrols to locate
them, then quietly move back to Cambodia, and wait. It will take a
day or two for B-52's to strike. As soon as the bombings are over the
NVA rush back to the Ia Drang and kick ass when our BDA team moves in
as per standard operating procedure.

Re: BDA, B Co. 1/12, '67

Tom
I read about that and the POWs. Just got me thinking about the tactics that the Inf. Btns. used back then like sending out three line companys and one recon plt. looking for some NVA Reg or more thats out there somewhere. Also all the line companys were undermanned and pity the first line company that runs into the NVA because they got pounded most of the time. I remember that and like I said just got me thinking.

We(A/1/22)did a number of BDAs at platoon strength - what stood for platoon strength in Nam (30 or so)anyway. We found a lot of NVA sign - bunkers, clothing, etc. and a couple of times some bodies.

We also had contacts a few times - luckily not with any Battalion sized units. And we (2nd platoon A/1/22)once got sent out looking for evidence of the 66th NVA Regiment in the area. We found it - dinks and signs of movement everywhere - but we avoided contact. There were 24 of us on that patrol and I had no intention of engaging even part of a regiment.

Seems we all read this article. Seems the NVA 66th did not get enough of the 4th they came back for more March 69 during Wayne gray