Return to Website

The Ivy Division Forum

WELCOME to THE IVY DIVISION Message Forum 
THIS website is a private SUPPORT SITE for 4th ID veterans, active duty soldiers, family members, friends and everyone who supports our troops no matter how you feel about our leaders. Troublemakers, gossips. trolls, liars, etc are NOT welcome here. Posts that defame,, humiliate and/or intimidate other posters or the webmaster will be deleted without notice or comment. Please read the rules on the Main Page, thank you!
This forum has a long history, by interent standards anyway-unfortunately it has been abandoned for far too long due to real life circumstances knocking the heck out of what had been my very real desire to keep this board alive and well forever so that all of us could meet here and communicate with each other everyday.

I'm not sure that a forum like this is even needed nowadays since the advent of facebook, etc...but I hope that this once thriving BB does bring some of us back together again and that maybe some new folks will join us as well!   
Webmaster: Bob Poff, C-1-8, 1968-1969 robert8h@yahoo.com
Thank You for Visiting The Ivy Division.com!
Open 24 Hours a Day, 365 Days a Year
Friends of The Ivy Division
A.B.,HONORARY GRUNT!
jinks' www.vietnamvets.com messageboard
Jim Bury's Ivy Dragoons website
Redleg's 4ID Forum

The IVY Division is back, the love of my life
Julie and I are married and we welcome
you Back to the IVY Division Forum!!!

The Ivy Division Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Whoooo-hooooo, redux!

"As for our common defense, we reject as false the choice between our safety and our ideals. Our Founding Fathers, faced with perils we can scarcely imagine, drafted a charter to assure the rule of law and the rights of man, a charter expanded by the blood of generations. Those ideals still light the world, and we will not give them up for expedience's sake."

Hot ****! We have adult leadership again!

Re: Whoooo-hooooo, redux!

When I saw Obama's Daughters, I was reminded of four little girls who were murdered in Birmingham, AL. in a 1963 church bombing. That was a Banner Day for bigotry. We've come a long way baby!

This is truly a memorable day in our country's history. I am so proud to be an American. Through all the ups and downs of the uncertain future we all share the hallmark of American idealism which is the determination and necessary participation of all well intended people of our great land to recognize that as a whole "we are one". With all the human frailities and personal self interest set aside, we will endure and succeed not because the efforts of others but because of the collective efforts of each of us individually.

I hold no disrespect for the service of former President Bush and will always believe in my heart that he attempted to lead this nation with its best interest in mind. I wish for President Bush the peace that comes from knowing that, although many will say he erred, in his heart he did what he thought was right.

Blessings to America...still the land of the free, courageous and undyingly brave.

Hand Salute,
John R...

Sorry JohnR...I do not believe that Pres. Bush did what was in his heart....unless he has no heart..not sure how the man sleeps at night knowing of all the waste of human life for a senseless war.
You and I don't often disagree on things...but re George Bush....Thank God and Greyhound he is gone!!!

Joy

WASHINGTON (AP) -- President Barack Obama will begin overhauling U.S. national security policy Thursday with orders to close the Guantanamo Bay detention center, review military trials of terror suspects and end harsh interrogations, two government officials said.

Together, the three executive orders and a presidential directive will reshape how the United States prosecutes and questions al-Qaida, Taliban or other foreign fighters who pose a threat to Americans.

A senior Obama administration official said the president would sign an order Thursday to shutter the Guantanamo prison within one year, fulfilling his campaign promise to close a facility that critics around the world say violates domestic and international detainee rights. The aide spoke on condition of anonymity because the order has not yet been issued.

A draft copy of the order, obtained Wednesday by The Associated Press, notes that "in view of significant concerns raised by these detentions, both within the United States and internationally, prompt and appropriate disposition of the individuals currently detained at Guantanamo and closure of the facility would further the national security and foreign policy interests of the United States and the interests of justice."

An estimated 245 men are being held at the U.S. naval base in Cuba, most of whom have been detained for years without being charged with a crime. The administration already has received permission to suspend the trials at Guantanamo for 120 days pending a review of the military tribunals.

Two other executive orders and a presidential directive also are expected Thursday, according to the administration official and an aide to a House Republican lawmaker who was briefed on the plans Wednesday by White House counsel Greg Craig. They include:

-An executive order creating a task force that would have 30 days to recommend policies on handling terror suspects who are detained in the future. Specifically, the group would look at where those detainees should be housed since Guantanamo is closing.

-An executive order to require all U.S. personnel to follow the U.S. Army Field Manual while interrogating detainees. The manual explicitly prohibits threats, coercion, physical abuse and waterboarding, a technique that creates the sensation of drowning and has been termed a form of torture by critics. However, the administration also is planning a study of more aggressive interrogation methods that could be added to the Army manual, a second Capitol Hill aide said.

-A presidential directive for the Justice Department to review the case of Qatar native Ali al-Marri, who is the only enemy combatant currently being held on U.S. soil. The review will look at whether al-Marri has the right to sue the government for his freedom, a right the Supreme Court already has given to Guantanamo detainees. The directive will ask the high court for a stay in al-Marri's appeals case while the review is ongoing. The government says al-Marri is an al-Qaida sleeper agent.

The House Republican aide was not authorized to discuss the plans publicly and spoke only on condition of anonymity.

Where the detainees would be housed if not at Guantanamo has become a point of contention for Obama as he grapples with the already thorny legal issue.

The Guantanamo draft obtained by the AP requires a review of each detainees' case to decide whether they should be returned to their home countries, released, transferred elsewhere or sent to another U.S. prison.

At least three military prisons - at Fort Leavenworth, Kan., Camp Pendleton, Calif., and Charleston, S.C. - could house some of the Guantanamo detainees, according to a second senior administration official who also spoke on condition of anonymity.

Also under consideration, the official said, is the Supermax prison in Florence, Colo., which houses convicted 9/11 conspirator Zacarias Moussaoui and Olympic bomber Eric Rudolph.

House Republican leader John Boehner said he's open to options, "but most local communities around America don't want dangerous terrorists imported into their neighborhoods, and I can't blame them."

"The key question is where do you put these terrorists," Boehner said Wednesday. "Do you bring them inside our borders? Do you release them back into the battlefield? If there is a better solution, we're open to hearing it."

Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Patrick Leahy, D-Vt., has long contended the U.S. can handle relocating the detainees "just as it has handled the worst criminals and other terrorists before," spokesman David Carle said.

Between 60 and 120 Guantanamo prisoners may be considered low-threat detainees and transferred to other countries, either for rehabilitation or release, the second administration official said. Only Portugal so far has agreed to take some of those detainees, the official said, although diplomatic discussions are ongoing. A State Department spokesman did not immediatel