Return to Website

The Ivy Division Forum

WELCOME to THE IVY DIVISION Message Forum 
THIS website is a private SUPPORT SITE for 4th ID veterans, active duty soldiers, family members, friends and everyone who supports our troops no matter how you feel about our leaders. Troublemakers, gossips. trolls, liars, etc are NOT welcome here. Posts that defame,, humiliate and/or intimidate other posters or the webmaster will be deleted without notice or comment. Please read the rules on the Main Page, thank you!
This forum has a long history, by interent standards anyway-unfortunately it has been abandoned for far too long due to real life circumstances knocking the heck out of what had been my very real desire to keep this board alive and well forever so that all of us could meet here and communicate with each other everyday.

I'm not sure that a forum like this is even needed nowadays since the advent of facebook, etc...but I hope that this once thriving BB does bring some of us back together again and that maybe some new folks will join us as well!   
Webmaster: Bob Poff, C-1-8, 1968-1969 robert8h@yahoo.com
Thank You for Visiting The Ivy Division.com!
Open 24 Hours a Day, 365 Days a Year
Friends of The Ivy Division
A.B.,HONORARY GRUNT!
jinks' www.vietnamvets.com messageboard
Jim Bury's Ivy Dragoons website
Redleg's 4ID Forum

The IVY Division is back, the love of my life
Julie and I are married and we welcome
you Back to the IVY Division Forum!!!

The Ivy Division Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Obama becomes the first in over ????????

, Becomes the First President
to Skip Ball Honoring Medal of Honor Recipients in Over 50 Years

Submitted by Julie on January 21, 2009 - 10:13pm.
2008 News Politics U.S. Government U.S. Politics World Politics

Barack Obama may have stumbled over his words briefly during his
inauguration, but he made an even bigger blunder later Tuesday evening.
The newly sworn-in President opted not to appear at what should have
been one of the most important Balls on his agenda that evening -
"The Salute to Heroes Inaugural Ball."

The Salute to Heroes Inaugural Ball was begun in 1953 for President Dwight
Eisenhower's inauguration. The event recognized recipients of the Medal of
Honor, the nation's highest military award. There were 48 Medal of Honor
recipients in attendance, who were undoubtedly disappointed by the new
Commander-in-Chief's failure to show. Over the past 56 years and 14
inaugurations, no President has skipped this event - until now.

The Salute to Heroes Inaugural Ball is sponsored by the American Legion,
and co-sponsored by 13 other veteran's service organizations, including
those such as the Paralyzed Veterans of America and the Military Order of
the Purple Heart.

Instead of attending this ball honoring our nation's heroes, Obama was busy
making stops at 10 other official balls. Obama and his wife's first stop was at
the Neighborhood Ball. From there they went to the Home State Ball for Illinois
and Hawaii, the Commander-in-Chief Ball, the Youth Inaugural Ball, and the
Home State Ball for Delaware and Pennsylvania. They finished off the night
with brief appearances at the Mid-Atlantic, Western, Midwest, Eastern, and
Southern regional Balls.

Celebrities were a plenty at the balls, with Stevie Wonder, Shakira, Mary. J. Blige,
Faith Hill, Jay-Z, Alicia Keys, Adam Levine, will.i.am, Sting, Mariah Carey, and
Leonardo DiCaprio in attendance at the Neighborhood Ball. In addition, the other
nine balls also featured a star-studded lineup including Kanye West and Kid Rock
at the Youth Ball, Marc Anthony at the Western Ball, and Cheryl Crow at the Western
Ball.

It was the party without all of the celebrities that Obama

skipped. The very people who he sought to have support

him during his candidacy and campaign, who have fought

to protect this country, were snubbed in favor of publicity

and the opportunity to rub shoulders - yet again - with the

out-of-touch Hollywood elite!

The story Forgot to mention this one....

What: The Commander-in-Chief’s Ball, hosted by President Barack Obama, First Lady Michelle Obama, Vice President Joe Biden, and Dr. Jill Biden.

Where: The National Building Museum.

When: Tuesday, January 20, 2009.

Tickets: Guest list only. Tickets were provided free of charge to 2,000 invited guests.

Who: Active-duty and reserve military and their families, 300 wounded warriors from Walter Reed Army Medical Center, families of fallen soldiers, spouses of deployed military. Translation: A sea of navy, white, and black-clad attendees, punctuated by tuxes and jewel-toned ball gowns.

Correction:

Correction:

The Commander in Chief Ball was mentioned in the story.

However, I think that the story does it rather a disservice not to go into a little detail on just who attended the ball, giving the overall impression that it was also attended by the Hollywood Elite.

Don't know how anyone else feels about it but the Guest list seems far from any Hollywood Elite too me.

However, I do think that the Guest List is a pretty "Elite" group.

Maybe someone should tell that to this "Julie" Person that submitted the story in the first place.

Re: Obama becomes the first in over ????????

The American Legion, as it has on every inauguration evening since 1953, hosted the Salute to Heroes Inaugural Banquet & Ball on January 20th. The quadrennial event is co-sponsored with fourteen veterans service and military service organizations and honors recipients of the Medal of Honor. Forty-seven of these heroes attended this year’s event which was held in the Renaissance Washington DC Hotel.

President Obama was invited but did not attend. Vice-President Joe Biden did appear, however, and was very warmly received. The new President’s absence was understandable considering the unprecedented logistical challenges presented by the vastly increased number of visitors to this inauguration and the necessary attendant security measures. The American Legion, as an organization, does not feel offended or “snubbed.

Thank you,

Craig Roberts

Media Relations Manager

The American Legion

1608 K Street, NW

Washington, DC 20006

202.263.2982 (direct)

The Post i thought I'd get.He is never wrong is he?

Hell he could probly **** in your post totstes and we could just call it buttermilk.

Not me jeffro

I never said that anyone was never wrong.

However I think that its a cheap shot to the 300+ wounded from Walter Reed and the rest of the Troops and their families that attended the The Ball that I listed. The Writer of that post took it upon him/her self to give the impression that no troops were included in any of Obamas visits. That he only attended balls with High Profile Celebrities and money. I feel in this case the Writer of that story is Flat Wrong, because I read that Obama said that this is a One Ball that he would attend.

Now as far as him Never doing wrong, he's already done a couple things that rubs me the wrong way.

Just my Opinion, but I think that the original post gave the wrong impression and the part about the Commander in Chief Ball that did indeed include Wounded Warriors and Heroes was purposely left out in an attempt to slam Obama.

One other thing, I saw no mention that Obama visited wounded at Walter Reed on the 19th the day before and Bush visited on Jan 4. Now I guess I could slam Bush for not visiting on the day he left office but I realize that be had a busy schedule.

However I wonder what the stories would have spun if it was Obama on Jan. 4 and Bush on the 19th???

He won.

Much ado about nothing. I never knew what parties the previous presidents attended and I did not know what parties this president attended - and I could give a crap less if any or all of them had skipped every party in Washington. What a bunch of BS - like what party a presiden - any president - attended had any real meaning at all.

You taking over for Quano on the nonsense pot stirring, Jeffro?

just for the record this 'julie' wasn't me
signed bob's Julie
hope you are all well here

Jack it was a simple post from a article that came across my computer from a another 4th vet for your information.and wondered how some other ones felt about how he handled it.

As usual. Posting ANYTHING other than Positive about your BOY MEETS WITH. Demotratic Liberal bias.

As for Daune his post has nothing to do with me.
And your elite Pompus Azz is showing.

Grant,
You are correct HE WON.
But Time will tell if he is truly a WINNER.

Jinks,
I watched as he an his wife danced with the Vet's on stage.
That was a thumbs up. It would be interesting to know the attitude of the ones with that blue ribbon around there neck other than some spokes person putting out a press report.

After all I had know idea that many Presidents paid there respects for so many years.

nuff said