Return to Website

The Ivy Division Forum

WELCOME to THE IVY DIVISION Message Forum 
THIS website is a private SUPPORT SITE for 4th ID veterans, active duty soldiers, family members, friends and everyone who supports our troops no matter how you feel about our leaders. Troublemakers, gossips. trolls, liars, etc are NOT welcome here. Posts that defame,, humiliate and/or intimidate other posters or the webmaster will be deleted without notice or comment. Please read the rules on the Main Page, thank you!
This forum has a long history, by interent standards anyway-unfortunately it has been abandoned for far too long due to real life circumstances knocking the heck out of what had been my very real desire to keep this board alive and well forever so that all of us could meet here and communicate with each other everyday.

I'm not sure that a forum like this is even needed nowadays since the advent of facebook, etc...but I hope that this once thriving BB does bring some of us back together again and that maybe some new folks will join us as well!   
Webmaster: Bob Poff, C-1-8, 1968-1969 robert8h@yahoo.com
Thank You for Visiting The Ivy Division.com!
Open 24 Hours a Day, 365 Days a Year
Friends of The Ivy Division
A.B.,HONORARY GRUNT!
jinks' www.vietnamvets.com messageboard
Jim Bury's Ivy Dragoons website
Redleg's 4ID Forum

The IVY Division is back, the love of my life
Julie and I are married and we welcome
you Back to the IVY Division Forum!!!

The Ivy Division Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Our guys call Brit troops 'scruffy', lol

link to story in The SUN
I saw this in today's SUN, Julie laughed and said, 'what cheek'. But both of our countries are there trying to make a difference in a part of the world that needs all the help it get.

Julie, the kids and I have been busy-Julie's working full-time, so are Danny and Chelsea. Danny's working at Sainsbury's, Chel's working at a nursery school-Danny's going back to Uni in October. Billy starts college in September. I'm helping out at home, we're working on our garden and our home and having as much as fun as we can while the weather is so nice.
Today we took Julie's mum Joan to the hospital for some tooth extractions. While waiting for the tranportation I met a great guy who remembers when the Yanks came to his part of Britain during WWII. His name is Robert and tho he was too young to serve he remembers our troops fondly.

We just had a BBQ and Julie's playing with our hamster, Godzilla. Our only remaining pet-we had to have our dog, Madge 'put down' recently, something that broke all of our hearts.
We're all still having 'Madge moments' when we think she's still here.

I'm sorry that were rarely here, but after so many years being in a sort of PTSD limbo I am truly living a real life.
The head man at the Seattle VA who decided my case hoped that I'd try to find all the happiness I could after decades of existing more than really enjoying my life-well, I am so happy to be able to say that thanks to him and many others along the way (especially Julie and the kids) that I am finally doing that.-Bob, in London.
ilusdm baby

Re: Our guys call Brit troops 'scruffy', lol

Bro it's good to know you are keeping on keeping on.

C,co has set up shop at a web site Swampfox is doing for all of 1/8 and would love for you drop in and check it out.

http://www.swampfox.info/Reunions/ReUnion.html

The Fourth Infantry Division Association national reunion will be this July 20-26th in St. Louis, MO. The link above give more details. Vietnam Veterans please try to make this reunion. We may not have many more chances to gather and rekindle the bonds that helped us survive the war.

The documentary about A/1/8 and 1Sgt McNerny, Medal of Honor recipient, will be aired during the event.

If you can, please be there. I would love to meet and talk to each of you and reconnect with those feelings of camaraderie. I know members of Alpha, Bravo, and Charlie companies will be there, and expect many others, who have not contacted me.

Visit my website www.swampfox.info and help me build this history of our time "across the pond".

Homer R. Steedly Jr.
B, HHC, and D Companies
Aug 68 - Mar 70
4th Infantry Division, Vietnam

PS: I just sent this to everyone in my email address book, so if you don't belong in this group, or do not want to receive such group mailing, just send a reply back to Swamp_Fox@Earthlink.net and I will remove your address. Sorry for the inconvenience if you got this by my negligence.

Even if you do not agree with what our country may be doing, never forget the courage and dedication of those soldiers, who put their lives on the line for our freedoms.

PPS: Many veterans cannot afford the cost of travel and accomodations. If you know someone, try to get local veterans groups involved and help them to make this very healing journey.

PPPPPPS: Those of you who erroneously receive this email...

Hi...How are you doing and my apologies for not keeping in closer touch with you. Would love to hear how you are doing and what you are up to today. With the website and over 4 dozen active veteran email and phone call contacts, I fear some of you may have fallen through the cracks. It is not intentional. Hope 2009 finds you all in good health and happy.

Homer

I included in the message sent me as you being a brother you are in our thoughts. Give Julie a big hug for me and enjoy those kids.

As Arky would say. "It's been along strange jounery".

Oh and by the way i am now retired to the world of my honey "DO'S" and bass fishing.

Take care My Friend
jeffro

Re: Our guys call Brit troops 'scruffy', lol

Jeffro, thank you so much for thinking of me and for passing along the great letter from Homer! I sure would love to attend the reunion, but it's impossible this time around. Julie also greatly appreciates your thoughtfulness and she enjoyed the kiss,too-lol.
Time is flying by here, Julie and I only have about 48 days left until I have to return to the USA and apply for another visa. The UK is very strict about these kinds of things-but i think they take out their frustrations about the millions who sneak in or who overstay their visas on those of us who are trying to follow all their rules.
But this time I will be applying for a fiance visa and after some more red tape Julie and I can be married, finally!
Then I will be able to get a two-year extension on my visa without having to go back to the USA. Everyone we know is outraged that we have to jump through so many hoops when all we want to do is be together. Sigh and dfsdshitkmkeroirigeioriereri!

Many Brits feel that some foreigners who come here are getting a break that others aren't getting and recently that was proven when a study revealed that over a third of the Pakistanis who got a visa got it without having to prove a damn thing! And where is a terrorist more likely to come from-the US or Pakistan?!
But to be fair the UK isn't only worrying about terrorism, they also want to keep their jobs for their citizens (and for those who come here legally to work), and they want to keep their public funds/welfare costs down,too.
But I'm not looking for a job or public funds, I just want to be with Julie and our kids-and i think they're finally believing that, thank goodness. We'll see when we submit our next visa appllication anyway.

great news about your retirement, Jeffro! And give your honey a kiss from me-I have to go now, I've got some honey-do's, too.
Thank you again for keeping me posted and staying in touch-i know i don't make it easy and im sorry about that, my friend.

~bob & julie, too