Return to Website

The Ivy Division Forum

WELCOME to THE IVY DIVISION Message Forum 
THIS website is a private SUPPORT SITE for 4th ID veterans, active duty soldiers, family members, friends and everyone who supports our troops no matter how you feel about our leaders. Troublemakers, gossips. trolls, liars, etc are NOT welcome here. Posts that defame,, humiliate and/or intimidate other posters or the webmaster will be deleted without notice or comment. Please read the rules on the Main Page, thank you!
This forum has a long history, by interent standards anyway-unfortunately it has been abandoned for far too long due to real life circumstances knocking the heck out of what had been my very real desire to keep this board alive and well forever so that all of us could meet here and communicate with each other everyday.

I'm not sure that a forum like this is even needed nowadays since the advent of facebook, etc...but I hope that this once thriving BB does bring some of us back together again and that maybe some new folks will join us as well!   
Webmaster: Bob Poff, C-1-8, 1968-1969 robert8h@yahoo.com
Thank You for Visiting The Ivy Division.com!
Open 24 Hours a Day, 365 Days a Year
Friends of The Ivy Division
A.B.,HONORARY GRUNT!
jinks' www.vietnamvets.com messageboard
Jim Bury's Ivy Dragoons website
Redleg's 4ID Forum

The IVY Division is back, the love of my life
Julie and I are married and we welcome
you Back to the IVY Division Forum!!!

The Ivy Division Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Need info

Can someone tell me what it costs to keep this board up and running w/o the ads and other annoyances?

Thank you

Joy

Re: Need info

I'd like to know that, also. It is such a burden to have to close so many windows. It may be responsible for the diminishes participation recently.

John R..

i dont know Bob Poff could tell you that. Im sure it must be a tidy sum. I offered to help but didnt recieve an answer. My offer still stands.

I clicked one of the pop-ups, that said "Eliminate these pop-ups" It was an offer to "buy" a bravenet domain without pop-ups. I don't think it would be this board, as it is in Bob's name. If someone wants to check one of these ads a little further, maybe we can see if bravenet will let us keep the same site. Like several others here, I'd be willing to "feed the Kitty."

I am quite willing to help support this and will email Bob and see if I can get a response..

Thanks...Joy

I have sent a note to Bravenet asking what we can do...also sent an email to Bob asking where we could send money. Will advise when I hear from one of them.

I think that Bobbi probably knows about how the thing works. She has acted for Bob in the past.

Keep us updated. Let me know what is needed.

Yes,

I do know how much it costs. I offered to pay as some of you know that the board was only backdoor recently. I tried to contact bravenet to pay them directly myself as it is possible, but they are slow to respond to me.

I am supposed to call him early in the morning sometime. Understand that Bob has his pride and doesn't want hand outs. I admire him for taking on the burden of this board for as long as he has. I passed on the money everyone sent when it started several years back and he was most thankful, so I see no reason why we can't do it again.

Bobbi

Great Bobbi,

Why don't you post the actual annual dollar amount and terms for the website for us.

Thanks,
John R...

Bob has been doing an annual contract for the site so it is $99 for the year. That makes it ad free. If we went to sign up more than 1 year at a time, it is less expensive. $179 for 2 year contract, and even less per year for a 5 year contract. He just paid for the domain name recently instead of the year long fee so it cost him $8.95 I think but the site is free right now so hense the ads and pop ups. You will also notice that the ads up top (not the pop ups) will correspond to what we are talking about in our threads because they are linked to google search. When you pay for the year the domain name comes with it for free.

Again, I will bring it up with him when we talk on the phone. Sending money to Bob all the way in England will take about 2 weeks snail mail to get to him approximately. I am looking into setting up Bob a paypal account where people can pay him directly so he can then pay bravenet. It would be safer, faster, and easier for everyone involved. If anyone else thinks that is a good idea, let me know and I will forward that to Bob. It is easy to set up and if you are not familiar with paypal, they are part of ebay. I can explain it to you more or you can check them out at www.paypal.com. I use it for my business transactions all of the time. Never had any problems with it.

Bobbi

I use pay pal and consider it to be a reliable, and safe payment method.
Is there any way Bob can set it up so people can pay direct to bravenet? That way Bob won't have to feel as if he is soliciting funds; and we won't have to endure these periodic shutdowns.

Bobbi,

Send me your personal address via personal email and I'll send you some money. I don't need an accounting just get those adds off please.

John R...

I personally would rather send money direct to the company...I think that way we each can send what we feel we want to an can afford. If it gets paid ahead, ok....but think that would be best for everyone.

Joy

I'm not sure if you can pay bravenet directly without knowing his password and information, etc. Like I said, I tried before recently and they have yet to get back to me.

As for sending it to me, I guess you could but I refer back to paypal in Bob's name as it is faster that way than sending it to me snail mail. Plus I don't want anything to get lost in the mail.

I was unable to call him because he was not online to give me his number the last 2 days like he said he would. I guess he got tied up with things there. Julie was sick the other day so it may be related to that. I will get the info and relay it to you guys so you can decide what works best for you.

Bob would not solicite anyone to pay this at all. It was supposed to be my wedding present to them to pay this for them but that was in the middle of his move and he is finally getting settled in and getting a phone set up, etc. You know how men are, hard to reach when you really want to get a hold of them. LOL.

Here is the cost to operate the message forum:

It's 6.95 per month or...54.95 for the entire year.

Professional Features

* Remove Advertising
Get rid of them! No more banners or popups displayed to you or your visitors.

* Unlimited Messages
Allow lengthy topics to continue in your forum. With unlimited messages your guests can talk at length.

* Free Dynamic Talking Character
Get a free version of Site Pal when you sign up for any professional service.

Select Your Payment Terms
Prepay for 12 months and save $28.45!
No thanks, please bill me $6.95/month $6.95
Yes, I'll take the savings! $54.95

Remove Bravenet Branding
Remove the "powered by bravenet" from your service.

"Friend",

I am not sure where you came up with those numbers. $8.25 a month, $99.00 a year. Etc. down the list. I could not even find the numbers you posted on Bravenet options. This is the only price list they offer after I checked every single option they had.

Copied and pasted from Bravenet.

Review your hosting options
term $/mo total savings
1 Year $8.25 $99.00 Save $45.00!
2 Years $7.46 $179.00 Save $109.00!
5 Years $4.99 $299.00 Save $421.00!
Select the 1, 2 or 5 year term and get a free domain name for the life of your hosting account!Enter your domain name choice: (ex: yourdomain.com)

* you can transfer domains from within your account

I remember Bob mentioning the $99 ammount to me before so this jives with what he said. Please let us know where you came up with your numbers. Also, please tell us your name. We like to know with whom we are talking to. Come up with a name that is not so ambiguous. If you posted before under a different name, use that. Posting under pseudonames makes me wary. I am sure your intentions of posting the prices were well meaning.

Friend/Bobbi
Can either of you tell us how we can contact the company....do they have a phone...think I saw someplace they are in Canada?

Surely there is a way to speak with someone who can tell us how we can send money toward this site...dont know many cos. that refus money.

Thanks. Joy

I have a Bravenet forum and that is what I pay to renew mine. I have only the message forum.

These are the premium features you get for the 99 dollars a month.

All you really need is the message forum. You do not need a domain name to have a message forum. I just have the MESSAGE FORUM WITH NO DOMAIN. If you need a photo album there are many of them that you can get for free with up to thousands of uploads. A good one webshots.com

SERIOUSLY, JUST GET THE MESSAGE FORUM FOR THE $54.95 A YEAR AND SET UP A FREE PHOTO ALBUM WITH WEBSHOTS!

ALSO, THE MESSAGE FORUM BELONGS TO MR. POFF AND IT'S DOUBTFUL IF BRAVENET WILL DEAL WITH ANYONE OTHER THAN MR. POFF HIMSELF.

bravenet.com,

* Home
* Free Web Tools
* Free Website Widgets
* Free Web Hosting and Domains
* Free Webmaster Resources
* Help Center
* Sitemap

Compare our Hosting Packages

Our ad-supported free hosting package is unrivalled on the net and our premium package is absolutely packed with great features! You just can't go wrong!

Don't forget that anyone can take advantage of our superb affiliate program!
Earn up to $100 for each new hosting member you send our way!
live person
Build your
Perfect Website!

Dear folks at Bravenet,

I've been hosting with you since Feb. 2004 and wanted to offer a few words of thanks. Your excellent 'uptime', and response time to support requests are unparalleled.

I did not know how to code at first and now do all of my own HTML and CSS thanks to your excellent tutorials, tips & tricks, and help forums.

I have had 22,500 unique visitors, & 270,000 'hits' within the past 2 and 1/2 months alone.

For this, and for all, I thank you again greatly!

Sincerely,
R. Ralston
Pricing Free Hosting Premium Hosting
Set-up fees NONE NONE
Free Domain Name 1 no yes
1 month Free $12.00
3 months Free $9.67/mo ($29.00)
1 year Free $8.25/mo ($99.00)
2 years Free $7.46/mo ($179.00)
5 years Free $4.99/mo ($299.00)
Main Features
Multi-Domain Hosting 2 5 10
Domains unlimited unlimited
Subdomains unlimited unlimited
Monthly bandwidth 1.5 Gigabytes 600 Gigabytes
Disk space 50 Megabytes 30 Gigabytes
FTP accounts 1 unlimited
Detailed site traffic statistics no yes
Ad-Free no yes
Email Features
POP3 email accounts no unlimited
Outgoing mail (SMTP) services yes yes
Spam and virus protection yes yes
Forwarders yes yes
Secure SSL encrypted webmail yes yes
Webmail address books and calendar yes yes
Technology
Reliable Linux Operating System yes yes
24/7 server and connection monitoring yes yes
64-bit dual-core processors yes yes
Load balanced/redundant webservers yes yes
Mirrored content and database servers yes yes
Redundant fibre optic connections yes yes
Daily backups of all member data yes yes
Offsite storage of backup data yes yes
UPS and generator power backup yes yes
General
24/7 support staff yes yes
Secure datacenter yes yes
Quick security updates yes yes
File types restricted 3 unlimited
Adobe Shockwave yes yes
Adobe Flash yes yes
Custom error pages no yes
Remote linking no yes
Visual editor yes yes
Website builder yes yes
27+ Free add-on tools yes yes
Frontpage publishing/extensions no yes
.htaccess support no yes
Server side includes (SSI) yes yes
Gzip compression yes yes
PHP - Software
PHP 5.2 as a fastcgi no yes
MySQL Databases (with replication) no unlimited
phpMyAdmin no yes
PHP pear libraries no yes
Support for common php packages like phpBB, phpNuke and many more no yes
1. Free when purchasing hosting for a term of one year or more (regularly valued at $8.95/yr) and will remain yours for the duration of this hosting account.
2. Free web hosting allows you to build 5 websites on unique domains in one hosting account. Professional web hosting allows you to build 10 websites on unique domains in one hosting account.
3. Free hosting accounts are limited to the following file types:
.htm, .html, .shtml, .gif, .jpg, .png, .txt, .swf, .mid, .rmi, .au, .wav, .js, .css, .ico, .bmp, .class, .dcr
invitation popup window for live chat with an online representative Close Chat Invitation

* affiliates
* resources
* terms/privacy
* about bravenet
* advertising
* partners
* contact
* careers
* sitemap

all contents copyright 1997-2008 Bravenet Web Services Inc.
hits link Web analytics powered by HitsLink.

Friend,

Thank you for all help and concern. It's appreciated.

John R...

Well, if Bob only has a message forum that would apply here. But like I said before, he has a web hosted package. We use all of the features such as polls, map, photo albums (plural) and cartoon, etc. If anyone checks up top you will see return to website link above.

There is a number to call, but without his info it will do you no good Joy. I had the password and info a while back but I have not kept up with it due to my schedule. So, as I suggested before, let's let Bob take care of this. I feel akward with trying to contact Bravenet without Bob's knowing about it. I let him know that I was doing so a while back, and he was most grateful, but I think that we should present our request to him before we run off and do this on our own.

Bobbi

There is no contract for any of bravenet services. He can easily change it to the message forum only. He can set up a free photo hosting forum like the webshots who I believe allow 1000 photos (full sized) with links. You just post a link on the front of this message forum. I don't know why you think that those features you mentioned are costly when they are are FREE OF CHARGE

MAPS ARE A FREE BRAVENET SERVICE
CALENDERS ARE A FREE BRAVENET SERVICE
DAILY CARTOONS ARE A FREE BRAVENET SERVICE
GUEST BOOK IS A FREE SERVICE
COUNTERS ARE A FREE SERVICE
CHAT ROOM IS A FREE SERVICE
A FREE PHOTO ALBUM BUT IT'S SMALL
DAILY HOROSCOPES ARE FREE

YOU DON'T NEED A DOMAIN OR A WEBSITE PAGE. YOU JUST USE A FORUM JUST LIKE THE ONE YOU HAVE NOW.

I HAVE HAD THREE BRAVENET FORUMS SO I DO KNOW SOMETHING ABOUT THEIR SERVICES. TO REITERATE I HAVE NEVER PAID ANYMORE THAN THE 54.95 FOR THE EXACT SAME MESSAGE FORUM AS YOU HAVE HERE. I USED SOME OF THE FREE FEATURES TOO AND WAS VERY HAPPY.

My husband occasionally looks at this forum and found some useful information. He is also a Vietnam Vet who served with the 4ID. He was looking at it the other day and found this post and asked me about the forums I had on gardening.

I'm sorry if I am overstepping my boundaries in butting in to help you but you all seem like such nice people I thought I would give you my experience and input on how I handled my Bravenet message forums.

No, not at all. You are not overstepping anything. The thing that costs more for Bob is the fact that he has reserved large photo albums and several because he has plans to expand what we do with them in the near future. With webhosting, there is more space and freedom to do stuff that is not available in a forum. I realized that some of the other services were free, but he didn't just want the forum, he wanted the webhost service with website. There is some history as to why he did this, because he wanted us to have a place that would be an ivy website after we lost our other one from the people who ran it. You were probably not around for that one so you did not realize this. We do appreciate your input.

I finally got a hold of Bob. He said he switched to monthly service a while back. He is sick along with Julie. Ugh. I was afraid that might be the case. Taking care of sick loved ones often leads to the caregiver being sick. He gave me his password and login and said he would set up a paypal if that is what everyone wanted.

I have discretion to give some people his info. He said the old timers are trust worthy, but he doesn't want just any old joe schmoe having it. If you are leery of paying paypal, even though it is safe and free for you with no set ammount that has to be paid, then please feel free to email me and let me know that you want his info. Otherwise, you can send snail mail or paypal. I leave it to a vote or consensus of the board.

All of those in favor of gettting his info choose option A. Those in favor of paypal, choose option B. Those in favor of sending snail mail to me I guess choose option C. If you think people should be able to choose for themselves which method they wish to pay, Option D. Make your choices known below on this thread. No anonymous votes please or attacks on the bb for this. Use your usual name or real name so we know that people are being honest about this and not trying to swing the votes one way or another.

If you decide snail mail or paypal, I will make all donations public here ss far as the ammounts are concerned but if you prefer I can keep your name anonymous. 100% of the money will go towards the site and nothing else. This is not a contest to see who paid more so anything is helpful and no contribution is too small or too big. I will make the bravenet receipt available for public viewing here in the photo album so you guys can see it.

I think this is the most democratic way to handle this. So let your choices be known.

BTW, my vote is for paypal. It is fast, easy, convenient, and safe. It's free for you to send money and Bob can transfer up to $500 a year I believe this way for free as well. It keeps records of everything, and once he has it set up, all you have o do is have his name and email address. You don't see his personal info and he doesn't see yours.

SmileyCentral.com

I see at the top on this site that Bob has listed a Chat Room, I don't know if Bob pays extra for that or not? However, my vietnamvets.com Message board is threw Bravenet and I have a chat room over there thats paid up for for about a Century. So what we can do if Bobs paying extra, just drop his and just link up to mine and use it. Like I said its paid for a long time and he won't have to worry about paying for a chatroom. People don't use that chat Room that much so its up to Bob.

jinks

What ever everyone else wants to do it fine...but don't think much of the other stuff is really used...there were lots of pictures for awhile...something needs to be done before we lose all of the people that come here.

Joy

Some of these things seem indictive of Bob's lack of interest for some time, regardless of whether it's payed up to date or not.

Maybe I'll go to jinx site.

Doc,

I assure you that this is not true. Granted, he is around less, but financially I don't want to divulge the whos and whys of what is going on. It's Bob's business.

If anyone needs anything or has a concern, please address it to me. I am usually on everyday for chat at some point on my yahoo messenger or windows im. My yahoo id is linnfaries. My id for windows is linn@bassdirectmail.com. My other business email is asynergytemple@yahoo.com. I will also make my phone number available upon email or chat request to those who may have a dire need or emergency. I may not see the board daily, but several times a week. So you can post your concerns here as well.

If downsizing the bb makes it is more cost effective, then let's discuss it. You input is always welcome.

Bobbi

I think that if its a money problem here its really no problem. Theres enough people to all chip in and get the site up to par again. Sometimes everyone needs help on money things and donations are voluntary not mandatory and if someone can't donate he won't be Water Boarded. I have no objections. This is a good site.

I always had a Soft Spot for 4th ID guys anyways! Im Ready!

jinks

Okay, I logged into the bravenet account and it is $99 for the year. We have upgraded webhost template and photo albums. I will go ahead and pay for the first year on Wednesday. This will take the ads off. If anyone wishes to contribute to the board as well, send it via paypal to linnfaries@yahoo.com. No one is required to and there is no minumun donation either. Just whatever you want to send will be fine. I will add it to my $99 so that should square us away for quite some time to come.

I have to add my credit card to his account on bravenet to pay for this. I will let him know first which is why I am waiting until Wednesday so he knows what I am doing. If you could please be patient until then, the ads will be gone soon and the board will be back to normal. Thank you for your understanding.

Bobbi (I sounded like a customer service rep from some company just now. Ugh!)

I am willing to help pay to keep the sight up. Who is in charge of the site now.

Bob is in charge, but I am helping to run things. I talked to him on the phone yesterday and he said he was going to stop by and post something.

I will have everything back to normal tomorrow.

Bobbi

Bobbi,

Is Bravenet waiting for the check to clear?

John R...

Sorry,

I started my new job yesterday and I was distracted and forgot. Let me take care of that right now. I don't know how long it takes for then to reactivate it, but it shouldn't be too long.

Bobbi

Thank you very much joy, john, duane, doc, jack, bobbi, jinks and robert for your kind offers to help with the cost of this website and for expressing your concerns about the future of the BB.
Julie and I would especially like to thank you, bobbi, for your wonderful gift, which will assure that bravenet continues to be the host for this site for the next year and thank you for being here while we were fighting a couple of nasty bugs that had us taking turns taking care of each other-and four teenagers and one dog.
We are feeling a lot better, weve beaten the bugs and life is back to normal. We went out and had some fun this weekend-though being that we're finally together just about everything we do is wonderful simply because we are together.

If any of you would like to contribute toward the cost of this site I will find out how you can send money to me thru paypal-Andy set up an account for me, I'll ask him what you have to do to gain access to it...BUT, please don't rush-the hosting is paid up for a year now and I just paid for the forum and the photo album for a month-and I plan to do the same next month and afterward, too. So...things are looking fine for now.

Once again, thank you all so much for your patience, your concern and your wonderful offers.
I know the ads and the popups are aggravating and I will try harder in the future to make sure they aren't a problem ever again.
From the holidays onward it's been a very busy time for me-preparing to come here, moving here and getting used to my new life here. And I still have to go back to finish wrapping things up in the States, at least for the time being-Julie and I would like to live there, but that's not going to be possible right now.
Doc, I'm sorry your patience was finally worn down. I hope you will still post here, this place wouldn't be the same without you!

~bob and julie

bump