Return to Website

The Ivy Division Forum

WELCOME to THE IVY DIVISION Message Forum 
THIS website is a private SUPPORT SITE for 4th ID veterans, active duty soldiers, family members, friends and everyone who supports our troops no matter how you feel about our leaders. Troublemakers, gossips. trolls, liars, etc are NOT welcome here. Posts that defame,, humiliate and/or intimidate other posters or the webmaster will be deleted without notice or comment. Please read the rules on the Main Page, thank you!
This forum has a long history, by interent standards anyway-unfortunately it has been abandoned for far too long due to real life circumstances knocking the heck out of what had been my very real desire to keep this board alive and well forever so that all of us could meet here and communicate with each other everyday.

I'm not sure that a forum like this is even needed nowadays since the advent of facebook, etc...but I hope that this once thriving BB does bring some of us back together again and that maybe some new folks will join us as well!   
Webmaster: Bob Poff, C-1-8, 1968-1969 robert8h@yahoo.com
Thank You for Visiting The Ivy Division.com!
Open 24 Hours a Day, 365 Days a Year
Friends of The Ivy Division
A.B.,HONORARY GRUNT!
jinks' www.vietnamvets.com messageboard
Jim Bury's Ivy Dragoons website
Redleg's 4ID Forum

The IVY Division is back, the love of my life
Julie and I are married and we welcome
you Back to the IVY Division Forum!!!

The Ivy Division Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Construction Work in Iraq

Just another example of fraud and abuse and no OVERSITE by the Bush Administration.
------------------------
According to the Army and Marine Corps, at least 12 service members have died in Iraq as a result of electrocution since 2003.

In fact, in October 2004, the Army issued a safety publication noting that five soldiers died from electrocution in 2004 alone and warning that improper grounding of electrical wires is 'a factor in nearly every electrocution" and a serious threat for soldiers in Iraq.
-------------------------------

Oversite Committee Hearings will be coming.

Re: Construction Work in Iraq

Jinx Just how do you know that those situations have not been corrected. You are (naturally for you) saying that every american is being electrocuted in Iraq . How many milion men have been there how have been accidently electrocuted 12.How many soldiers have died in airplane accidents car accidents here in the United states during the clinton administation. Did the hildsbeast did slick willie personally make them drive unsafely.

Re: Construction Work in Iraq

If you knew anything about the Construction trades you would know that the Contractor is responsible for the work being done correctly and this contractor should be tried in a US court of law for Negligent Homicide.

You see in the real world you the Contractor are held responsible for the Bodily harm or deaths caused by your mistakes. No questions asked!

Also the President isn't responsible for the Cars that Ford or GM produce, BUT I would think that if they pay these Electrical contractors BILLIONS that the Contractor in a since works for the Government. After all the US Gov. hired them..

And let me add that mearly fixing the Grounding Rods won't get you off the hook. There were still deaths of Troops here caused by Negligence.

But then I guess if your company is KBR or one of their Subs than you have the power to go ahead and Kill Troops because of shoddy work and Old Dead Eye Dick will just laugh all the way to the bank and cover your a$$ at the same time!

I have done some checking on this. In fact I posted it here about a month or so ago. There have been Three Troops Killed while using Microwaves and one killed while taking a shower most have to do with the wrong size grounding Rod, or not driven deep enough or just no grounding rod.

To me this is not something that the Oversite Committee should be investigating. This should be turned over to the Dept. of Justice and they should file charges. But then after all it is a Republican justice Dept.

Update---Soldier Electrocutions Probed in Iraq

Soldier Electrocutions Probed in Iraq
By RAMESH SANTANAM – Mar 20, 2008

PITTSBURGH (AP) — A U.S. House committee chairman has begun an investigation into the electrocutions of at least 12 service members in Iraq, including that of a Pittsburgh soldier killed in January by a jolt of electricity while showering.

Rep. Henry Waxman, chairman of the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, said Wednesday he has asked Defense Secretary Robert Gates to hand over documents relating to the management of electrical systems at facilities in Iraq.

Staff Sgt. Ryan Maseth, 24, died Jan. 2 of cardiac arrest after being electrocuted while showering at his barracks in Baghdad.

Also Wednesday, Maseth's parents filed a wrongful death lawsuit in Allegheny County Court against KBR Inc., the Houston-based contractor responsible for maintaining Maseth's barracks.

The lawsuit, which seeks unspecified damages and costs, alleges that KBR allowed U.S. troops to continue using electrical systems "which KBR knew to be dangerous and knew had caused prior instances of electrocution."

"I expected that if I lost one of my sons (in the war), it would be due to an IED or firefight," Maseth's mother, Cheryl Harris, told The Associated Press on Wednesday. "I never expected to hear he would be electrocuted, that something so senseless happened to him."

An Army investigation found that his death was due to improper grounding of the electric pump that supplied water to the building, Waxman said. Maseth died after an electrical short in the pump sent a current through the pipes, the California Democrat wrote in his letter.

Chris Isleib, a Defense Department spokesman, said that the Pentagon has turned the matter over to the department's inspector general for a full investigation.

Since 2003, at least 12 service members have died in Iraq as a result of electrocution, according to the Army and Marine Corps.

In October 2004, Waxman said in his letter, the Army issued a safety alert that noted five soldiers had been electrocuted that year and improper grounding was a factor in nearly all of the cases.

The letter did not give the names of victims other than Maseth. Waxman asked that his committee be provided investigative reports on the dead soldiers and reports and communications regarding electrical grounding in military facilities in Iraq.

In a Jan. 21 memo responding to questions from Maseth's family, the Army's criminal investigations division said the Chinese-made pump was acquired before KBR took over maintenance of the building and did not meet U.S. safety standards.

KBR declined to comment on the lawsuit Wednesday, but said it would cooperate with agencies investigating Maseth's death. The company was formerly owned by Halliburton Co., the oil services conglomerate once led by Vice President Cheney.

Harris said the military initially did not tell her that her son was electrocuted, and then told her he died "with a small electrical appliance in the shower." Only later did she learn the truth, she said.

The investigation was sought by Rep. Jason Altmire, a Democrat who represents a district north of Pittsburgh.