Return to Website

The Ivy Division Forum

WELCOME to THE IVY DIVISION Message Forum 
THIS website is a private SUPPORT SITE for 4th ID veterans, active duty soldiers, family members, friends and everyone who supports our troops no matter how you feel about our leaders. Troublemakers, gossips. trolls, liars, etc are NOT welcome here. Posts that defame,, humiliate and/or intimidate other posters or the webmaster will be deleted without notice or comment. Please read the rules on the Main Page, thank you!
This forum has a long history, by interent standards anyway-unfortunately it has been abandoned for far too long due to real life circumstances knocking the heck out of what had been my very real desire to keep this board alive and well forever so that all of us could meet here and communicate with each other everyday.

I'm not sure that a forum like this is even needed nowadays since the advent of facebook, etc...but I hope that this once thriving BB does bring some of us back together again and that maybe some new folks will join us as well!   
Webmaster: Bob Poff, C-1-8, 1968-1969 robert8h@yahoo.com
Thank You for Visiting The Ivy Division.com!
Open 24 Hours a Day, 365 Days a Year
Friends of The Ivy Division
A.B.,HONORARY GRUNT!
jinks' www.vietnamvets.com messageboard
Jim Bury's Ivy Dragoons website
Redleg's 4ID Forum

The IVY Division is back, the love of my life
Julie and I are married and we welcome
you Back to the IVY Division Forum!!!

The Ivy Division Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
It seems to me that war and divorce seem to be sad bed brothers.

We just found out that Rebecca is going through a divorce on the board. 2 more of Dan's buddies who went to Iraq are going through a divorce. Several already had just after they got back. It just seems to me that there is something about war and divorce. Many of the Vietnam vets I know have been through a divorce or 2. Militaryhas a slightly higher divorce rate I think if memory serves, war just seems to add to it maybe?

-Bobbi

Re: It seems to me that war and divorce seem to be sad bed brothers.

I think war changes veterans. It used to be primarily men but now women, too, are exposed. It also changes the spouse who has had to handle things on their own. Now the vet is back and that relationship has to be rebuilt. But neither person is quite the same as when they parted. It's difficult.

I would be interested in reading any studies on that issue. My gut feeling tells me it's the modern world that is at fault and not war.

John R...

How ture after deployments the spouse is pretty well independent who has been taking care of things at home while the other spouse is gone. The returning spouse needs to learn how to readjust back into the roll they fullfilled prior to deployment. Most returning men (I found this to be for me) was surpised when my wife did things that needed to be done and I didn't know it, she had been doing things when I was gone and was able to take care of it. It took time for me to adjust to this and also to be able to accept her independence.

The VA has done studies on the Divorce rates of Veterans.

Below is some Info and a link to one such study. Keep in mind that it is a known fact that VA Studies are not error free and sometimes even on the low side of the equation due to political consequences.

Also most stats they keep are on Vietnam Veterans, they are just beginning to do studies on the New Veterans. That leads me to believe that in about 30 years you will begin to get figures on the new Veterans.

------------------------------------------

Related to impaired relationship functioning, a high rate of separation and divorce exists in the veteran population (those with PTSD and those without PTSD). Approximately 38% of Vietnam veteran marriages failed within six months of the veteran's return from Southeast Asia.

The overall divorce rate among Vietnam veterans is significantly higher than for the general population, and rates of divorce are even higher for veterans with PTSD. The National Vietnam Veterans Readjustment Study (NVVRS) found that both male and female veterans without PTSD tended to have longer-lasting relationships with their partners than their counterparts with PTSD. 3 Rates of divorce for veterans with PTSD were two times greater than for veterans without PTSD. Moreover, veterans with PTSD were three times more likely than veterans without PTSD to divorce two or more times.

http://www.ncptsd.va.gov/ncmain/ncdocs/fact_shts/fs_partners_veterans.html?opm=1&rr=rr113&srt=d&echorr=true

Trauma and periods of high stress do it, John. People who live through violent events such as rape, hostage events, work place shootings or even bank robberies often suffer from PTSD.

Was is just of longer duration with repeated exposure to trauma and stress - and historically the participants have been less likely to admit problems or seek help.