Return to Website

The Ivy Division Forum

WELCOME to THE IVY DIVISION Message Forum 
THIS website is a private SUPPORT SITE for 4th ID veterans, active duty soldiers, family members, friends and everyone who supports our troops no matter how you feel about our leaders. Troublemakers, gossips. trolls, liars, etc are NOT welcome here. Posts that defame,, humiliate and/or intimidate other posters or the webmaster will be deleted without notice or comment. Please read the rules on the Main Page, thank you!
This forum has a long history, by interent standards anyway-unfortunately it has been abandoned for far too long due to real life circumstances knocking the heck out of what had been my very real desire to keep this board alive and well forever so that all of us could meet here and communicate with each other everyday.

I'm not sure that a forum like this is even needed nowadays since the advent of facebook, etc...but I hope that this once thriving BB does bring some of us back together again and that maybe some new folks will join us as well!   
Webmaster: Bob Poff, C-1-8, 1968-1969 robert8h@yahoo.com
Thank You for Visiting The Ivy Division.com!
Open 24 Hours a Day, 365 Days a Year
Friends of The Ivy Division
A.B.,HONORARY GRUNT!
jinks' www.vietnamvets.com messageboard
Jim Bury's Ivy Dragoons website
Redleg's 4ID Forum

The IVY Division is back, the love of my life
Julie and I are married and we welcome
you Back to the IVY Division Forum!!!

The Ivy Division Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
VA Retreats on Voter Registration Efforts for Wounded Veterans

VA Retreats on Voter Registration Efforts for Wounded Veterans

By Steven Rosenfeld
AlterNet

The Department of Veterans Affairs has retreated on a recently announced policy to allow voter registration drives at its facilities where veterans' groups and others would assist wounded former soldiers to participate in the 2008 presidential election.

"It is VHA (Veterans Health Administration) policy to assist patients who seek to exercise their right to register and vote; however, due to Hatch Act (Title 5 United States Code (U.S.C.) 7321-7326) requirements and to avoid disruptions to facility operations, voter registration drives are not permitted," the new policy directive by Michael J. Kussman, Under Secretary for Health said.

The Hatch Act restricts political activities by federal employees.

The VA directive rolls back a new policy announced in late April where the agency agreed, after mounting public and political pressure, to assist wounded veterans with registering to vote and voting for federal elections. While the VA still says it will help former soldiers on an as-requested basis with registration and voting, curtailing voter registration drives brought swift condemnation from Capitol Hill and advocacy groups.

"We believe that the earlier directive better addressed the need for a consistent voter registration policy for our veterans," Senators Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) and John Kerry (D-MA) said in a May 6 letter to VA Secretary James B. Peake. "While the changes made in the new directive seem small, the impact is large. It appears to us that the Department took one step forward for our veterans and the right to vote by directing that assistance be provided with voter registration and with securing absentee ballots, but then took a large step back by prohibiting voter registration drives."

The Senators questioned the Hatch Act claims, saying the "Office of Special Counsel has made it clear that federal employees, even those who are considered to be in sensitive positions, may "assist in voter registration drives."" And they questioned how voter registration drives would disrupt VA activities.

"We would appreciate knowing the type of disruptions the VA envisions might occur during voter registration drives by nonpartisan organizations, such as the League of Women Voters or veterans' organizations, and why any potential disruption could not be addressed by less restrictive means," the said.

The VA press office did not respond to several calls seeking a further explanation of the new policy late Thursday afternoon.

Veterans' advocates were more than disappointed.

"VA's decision, during wartime, to block voter registration for our hospitalized veterans is shameful, outrageous, and despicable," said Paul Sullivan, executive director of Veterans for Common Sense. "VCS finds it unconscionable that VA would reverse position and prohibit voter registration efforts for our wounded, injured, ill, and disabled veterans in VA hospitals and nursing homes as more and more casualties flood home from the Iraq and Afghanistan wars."

"This is voter suppression, pure and simple," said Scott Rafferty, a Washington, D.C.-based attorney who has been fighting the VA in court for several years to allow voter registration efforts at the VA campus in Menlo Park, California, near San Francisco.

Rafferty said there was little doubt the decision to deny voter registration drives -- because they were political -- was en extremely political decision. "They've been caught letting the Republican Party send paid campaign workers to register voters after they excluded nonpartisan volunteers from the same campus," he said. "They've been forced to admit under oath that they told the League of Women Voters that if they took a position on Iraq, they'd lose their access. The court told them they can't do that anymore, so they are going to ban all voter registration drives."

Veterans for Common Sense's Sullivan made the same point.

"America has entered a dark day in our history when President George W. Bush's Administration prevents veterans who are patients in a VA hospital from registering and voting behind a false claim of partisan politics," he said. "There is absolutely nothing partisan about assisting veterans who defended our Constitution with registering to vote."

Sullivan said he hoped congressional pressure could prompt the VA to reconsider the voter registration drive policy. Meanwhile, Rafferty said the VA's newest directive would inject new issues into the ongoing litigation surrounding voter registration at the agency's Menlo Park campus.

Part 2

"We'll ask the Ninth Circuit to make the VA offer every veteran a chance to register when they first come to the VA," he said. "The First Amendment applies to VA campuses, so we also want a set of rules that lets visitors talk politics to the same extent that can talk about the weather -- without the threat of six months in jail if they are overheard."

Michael Slater, deputy director of Project Vote, which is organizing registration drives in some two dozen states this summer, also said there was little doubt the decision was driven by the prospect of wounded veterans voting against the administration's current war policies.

"This is yet another action from the Bush administration that imposes barriers to registration and voting in front of Americans they don't trust to vote for their preferred candidates," he said "Government, regardless of what party controls it, has a monopoly over the mechanisms of registration and voting and they hold that responsibility in trust for the public. The Bush administration has repeatedly allowed their political interests to trump their obligations to the public and now, it seems, veterans are the latest victims."

Re: VA Retreats on Voter Registration Efforts for Wounded Veterans

How many veterans who wanted to were denied the right to register to vote?
from what this piece said any one who aked for would be helped to register and to get an an absentee ballot.
The hatch act does prohibit federal employees from participating in political actions.
Thats what these voter drives would be. Far left organizations controling the votes of these guys in hospital. In much the same way as the Gore organization used minor detils to keep soldiers votes from being counted in Florida in 2000 because they didnt believe active duty soldiers would vote democrat and probably they wouldnt have.

Actually no one that I have talked to has been Denied, However out of 20 Men that I talked to last Wednesday 17 of them were informed about Voter Registration but three were not offered the information upon admittance.

I'll give the VA Employees the benefit of the doubt on that because its a real Mad House in there. However three were missed.

I just get the raw facts then turn it in to my VSO and he presents it to our Senator and the Senator decides if he should rattle the Hospitals Cage or not.

As far as what party a Vet registers is irrelevant to me. Im just interested in the VA serving the Vets best interests.

We haven't gotten any figures from other states yet but we are only 2 weeks into it.

Duane, you are so full of **** that sometimes you end up arguing with yourself. Which is it? Are these Veterans being recorded by left wing organizations - or were they denied the right to vote because they are pro Bush? Actually, I think the majority of Veterans tend to be conservative, so you should be rooting for the VA to register as many as possible.

man keep politics off the VA Med Centers, there is enough politics at the VA Admin in DC.