Return to Website

The Ivy Division Forum

WELCOME to THE IVY DIVISION Message Forum 
THIS website is a private SUPPORT SITE for 4th ID veterans, active duty soldiers, family members, friends and everyone who supports our troops no matter how you feel about our leaders. Troublemakers, gossips. trolls, liars, etc are NOT welcome here. Posts that defame,, humiliate and/or intimidate other posters or the webmaster will be deleted without notice or comment. Please read the rules on the Main Page, thank you!
This forum has a long history, by interent standards anyway-unfortunately it has been abandoned for far too long due to real life circumstances knocking the heck out of what had been my very real desire to keep this board alive and well forever so that all of us could meet here and communicate with each other everyday.

I'm not sure that a forum like this is even needed nowadays since the advent of facebook, etc...but I hope that this once thriving BB does bring some of us back together again and that maybe some new folks will join us as well!   
Webmaster: Bob Poff, C-1-8, 1968-1969 robert8h@yahoo.com
Thank You for Visiting The Ivy Division.com!
Open 24 Hours a Day, 365 Days a Year
Friends of The Ivy Division
A.B.,HONORARY GRUNT!
jinks' www.vietnamvets.com messageboard
Jim Bury's Ivy Dragoons website
Redleg's 4ID Forum

The IVY Division is back, the love of my life
Julie and I are married and we welcome
you Back to the IVY Division Forum!!!

The Ivy Division Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Thanks to a $750,000 grant by U.S. Sen. Barack Obama

Benedictine University Offers Free Education to Military Veterans

Lisle, Illinois ~ They fight insurgents and build schools in Iraq and Afghanistan, but today’s veterans face an even greater battle at home – affording a decent college education.

The original G.I. Bill – the Serviceman’s Readjustment Act of 1944 – covered full tuition at public or private schools, books, fees and a living stipend. But while college costs skyrocketed, the G.I. Bill did not keep pace. Today, it provides only limited assistance for veterans seeking to pursue a college education.

Veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan who sign up for the G.I. Bill are eligible for $1,101 per month – or $39,636 over four years – in educational benefits. However, the College Board reports that the average four-year public college costs more than $65,000 while a private university costs more than $130,000.

This disparity discourages many veterans from utilizing their benefits. While nearly 80 percent of active-duty troops sign up for benefits, less than 10 percent of eligible veterans use their full benefit during the 10-year limit following their discharge. Some 30 percent of veterans never tap into their G.I. Bill funds at all.

Benedictine University has decided to do something to help Illinois veterans returning from Iraq and Afghanistan get a college education.

Thanks to a $750,000 grant from the federal government secured by U.S. Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.), beginning in Fall 2008 the University will extend its First Responder Program to Illinois Armed Forces veterans – active and reserve – returning from service in Iraq and Afghanistan.

“By extending the First Responder Program to veterans, these brave men and women will have access to an education they might not otherwise be able to afford,�� Benedictine University President William J. Carroll said. “The lives of many veterans their families will be positively changed, and the opportunity for a better future greatly increased.��

Benedictine’s First Responders Program is an unparalleled educational degree program that seeks to provide Illinois police and fire personnel access to affordable and quality higher education. There are no tuition costs. Police and fire personnel pay only for their textbooks and fees. Currently, 63 public service organizations are represented by the more than 400 first responders enrolled in the program. Among the organizations participating in the program are: Cook County Sheriff, DuPage County Sheriff, Illinois State Police, and police and fire departments from Addison to Wheaton.

Illinois veterans who participate in this program will be able to pursue an Associate of Arts in Business Administration (A.A.B.A.) or a Bachelor of Arts in Management (B.A.M.) degree. By extending these benefits to Illinois veterans who have served in Iraq and Afghanistan, Benedictine University will provide them with a college education that will enhance their employment opportunities. The program will also ease the financial burden many of them would otherwise face while earning a degree, particularly those veterans with families.

Benedictine University will also extend half-tuition benefits to members of reserve units who are not deployed, to prepare them educationally prior to deployment, and extend half-tuition benefits to college-aged children of reservists who are deployed while participating in the program.

For more information about the First Responder Program at Benedictine University, contact Tanesha Pittman, Associate Dean of the First Responder and Professional Development programs, at (630) 829-6125 or (630) 327-1537.

Benedictine University is an independent Roman Catholic institution located in Lisle, Illinois just 25 miles west of Chicago. Founded in 1887, Benedictine provides 45 undergraduate majors, 11 graduate programs,a Ph.D. in Organization Development and an Ed.D. in Higher Education and Organizational Change.

Benedictine University is ranked as a Top School in the Midwest for Master’s Universities, sixth in Illinois for Ethnic Diversity, and as a Top Campus for International Students, Economic Diversity and Highest Graduation Rate for 2008 by U.S. News & World Report.

Re: Thanks to a $750,000 grant by U.S. Sen. Barack Obama

I have a question...what exactly does the "active and reserve" mean? Does this include those who are permanently out of the service?

Thanks...Joy

from what I gather this is for Veterans from Iraq and Afghanistan. BUt maybe calling the above telephone number would address this

Joy the Universial military training act obligates our youg men to 8 years of military service. There is no longer a draft so many young men do not realize that there is still a obligation The act states that the obligation should be two years active and the rest active reserve or ready reserve, However with the all volunter army, most men and women now enlist for two to four years. After they complete their enlistment contract, There is still a reserve obligation until the 8 years are completed. Active army is a soldier on full time duty 24/7 weather they are reservist or not. President Bush has taken it opon himself to constantly call our reserve and National Guard , Which is normally under state control to fight in Iraq and or Afghanistan. He even calls the ready reserve which is the last two years of a Soldiers obligation and are usually called only or a full national mobilization. But for the purpose of benifits it is usually any one that has served a minimum of 180 days of full time duty. Illinois give educational benits if a person serves one year in the National guard. I believe many other states have similar benifits.

Grant the u s congress authorized the campaign in Iraq and afghanistan. It authorized the president to conduct the war in his capacity as commander in chief. the national gaurd and reserves are at least 50 % of the forces this country has to defend itself.
The democrat congress can at any time vote to not fund the war it authorised. Dont pay the soldiers no money for ammo no food for our soldiers and by doing that the democrat congress will assure the defeat of the united states and the control of the united states by the islamic terrorists.

Duane: What The F**k does this thread have to do with who authorized the war in Iraq, or who funds it, or any of your other political crap?

MadDoc hello there brother I was going to ask the same thing of Duane. Instead of him saying " nice going Obama" [ like he would] he highjacks the subject. Typical republican.

MadDoc you here about McCains contraversal priest?