Return to Website

The Ivy Division Forum

WELCOME to THE IVY DIVISION Message Forum 
THIS website is a private SUPPORT SITE for 4th ID veterans, active duty soldiers, family members, friends and everyone who supports our troops no matter how you feel about our leaders. Troublemakers, gossips. trolls, liars, etc are NOT welcome here. Posts that defame,, humiliate and/or intimidate other posters or the webmaster will be deleted without notice or comment. Please read the rules on the Main Page, thank you!
This forum has a long history, by interent standards anyway-unfortunately it has been abandoned for far too long due to real life circumstances knocking the heck out of what had been my very real desire to keep this board alive and well forever so that all of us could meet here and communicate with each other everyday.

I'm not sure that a forum like this is even needed nowadays since the advent of facebook, etc...but I hope that this once thriving BB does bring some of us back together again and that maybe some new folks will join us as well!   
Webmaster: Bob Poff, C-1-8, 1968-1969 robert8h@yahoo.com
Thank You for Visiting The Ivy Division.com!
Open 24 Hours a Day, 365 Days a Year
Friends of The Ivy Division
A.B.,HONORARY GRUNT!
jinks' www.vietnamvets.com messageboard
Jim Bury's Ivy Dragoons website
Redleg's 4ID Forum

The IVY Division is back, the love of my life
Julie and I are married and we welcome
you Back to the IVY Division Forum!!!

The Ivy Division Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Retroactive Combat Action badges pushed

http://www.legion.org/whatsnew/publications/newsletter/story?id=599

The American Legion Online
Retroactive Combat Action badges pushed

Rep. Ginny Brown-Waite, R-Fla., recently introduced legislation to retroactively award the Army Combat Action Badge to those members of the U.S. Army who were engaged by the enemy from Dec. 7, 1941, to the present day.
In 2005, the Department of the Army authorized the creation of the Combat Action Badge to recognize U.S. soldiers who engage the enemy in battle. This important badge applies to the brave men and women in our armed forces who might not qualify for awards such as the Combat Infantry or Combat Medical Badge, which are limited to those individuals serving with infantry or medical units.

There is no doubt that the Combat Action Badge is a great idea; in Iraq and Afghanistan we are seeing soldiers from every military occupational specialty distinguish themselves in battle. However, the Army's current policy limits eligibility to those individuals who meet its criteria after Sept. 18, 2001.

While the Combat Action Badge recognizes those who have served their country bravely in the 21st century, it overlooks the thousands of veterans who made similar sacrifices in previous wars. This amendment, which has 25 cosponsors so far, expands the eligibility for the award to those soldiers who served from Dec. 7, 1941, to Sept. 18, 2001.

The text of Brown-Waite's bill, H.R.2267, reads, "To expand retroactive eligibility of the Army Combat Action Badge to include members of the Army who participated in combat during which they personally engaged, or were personally engaged by, the enemy at any time on or after Dec. 7, 1941."

Re: Retroactive Combat Action badges pushed

and who is going to verify this ? What funding is required ? For some reason the current military actions going on medals seem to be on the top of everyone's list. Would rather see this funding for this used to assist wounded Soldiers / Marines.

I say NO

Mike

This thing has been around for quite a while.

It started about the second year of the current war. Seems that because of the way the current war is conducted in regards to non-infantry MOS doing patrols and conducting regular infantry duties on a daily basis they thought that they were entitled to a "CIB". But the AR for the awarding of a CIB say its awarded only to the Infantryman. So the DOD came out with the CAB award on the recommendation of the Commanding General.

Originally, each MOS had designed a badge of their own, IE. Combat tanker badge, combat Arty Badge, Combat engineers and so on. In the end the DOD decided upon the CAB to cover all MOS with the exception (I Think) of Infantry and Combat Medics.

Then comes the "Old Vets". Seems a bunch of associations started crying about, "How come the new guys get a CAB and we are left out"? Actually in the long run they don't even need a bill passed because the DOD just has to give the OK to the Awards Division to start the process.

As far as the cost it comes from the DODs budget and not the VA. These CABs have been stamped out at the rate of a million a year for the past years and are in some wear house along side of all the other awards that the DOD awards. So in that case the money has been allotted and already spent and as we all know the DOD would rather spend it than give it back.

I think that in the DOD will eventually issue guidance on the retroactive awarding of this medal to the Older Vets, I also think that it will be a big political event because of the election year. I also think that it will be a big waist of time because every Tom,Dick and Harry will be sending in for his records and this will jam the system and slow more important business that they need to take care of in regards to the New Troops.

My take on the whole thing and I fully agree with the General that said,"The CAB will be awarded not only to recognize the current soldier but to PRESERVE the INTEGERTY of the "CIB."

I have the honor of knowing many Infantrymen that earned the CIB and many will tell you that its the most important award they have. Its not a common everyday award like a good conduct award its accomplishment in the face of combat. The CAB was originated to keep it that way.

This is basically the story of the reason for the CAB.

BTW-
I personally don't need or even desire a CAB. I have a Purple Heart and I also have about 16 hour a day Headache to remind me I was in Combat. JMO

Here is the fly in the ointment. The CAB is designed to recognize those men who came in actual contact with the enemy; but aren't elegible for the CIB or CMB. Presumably, these awards are made "in theater" by people who know the recipient saw "infantry type" action. How can this be determined for us, or the WWII generation? Unless a person has received a Purple Heart, or was decorated for valor, how can you tell if other MOS's actually came in contact with the enemy?
Say I was a cook. I may have spent my entire tour without hearing a shot fired in anger. On the other hand, I may have been sent out on patrol, in an emergency situation, and engaged in actual combat. Unless I received a medal for the action, there will be nothing to indicate it on my record. How do I prove I saw action?
Simply serving in the theater should not be enough - I presume it does not automatically qualify current troops. The army awards service in war zones with service ribbons. Everyone in Vietnam received, and was entitled to, The Vietnam Service Ribbon. Everyone is not qualified to receive a CAB. If it is awarded simply for "in country" service, it will be a meaningless piece of candy.

Doc

Good point. Exactly what I was talking about when I talked about jamming up the system.

Its basically going to be the same as when a guy needs to prove a stressor. He has to pull after action reports, submit a Buddy Statement or so on. I figure it this way, if a guy wants to go to the Archives building and spend hours upon hours digging threw tons of paperwork to find that proof, more power to him. But do it after the wars over!

and BTW-
"Anyone that has ever been to the Archives Building knows what I'm talking about, its a real ZOO and half the time your lucky if you can even find out anything". Anybody ever been there?????LOL!!!

This award was invented to preserve the integrity of the CIB and your Medic badge. Also ,remember back when the Army decided to let everyone wear the Black Beret. I think the DOD is trying to avoid that happening all over again.

No matter what,, I think its bad timing to undertake this sort of thing at a time of manpower shortages and the thousands of record screw ups on the returning troops having to face 6 month or longer delays.

A lot of Vietnam Vets would be entitled then if they were part of the Tet offensive a lot of non combatants were attacked and ended up in more than one fire fight during that time. Also being mortared and rocketed at base camps and some ground attacks.

I always felt that wearing the unit patch of your right shoulder was the award you got for serving with a unit in combat. I liked the fact that it was all inclusive.

However, I did always wonder about the status of my maintenance battalian patrol that for the most part were mechanics, supply clerks and admin people. We would go out for 3 days and 2 nights essentially doing an infantry mission. We were constantly exposed to the dangers inherent in a infantry role. I was fortunate not to have a contact, although, there would be the occassional sniper fire from locations unknown. We did find enemy camp sites and we would destroy them after gathering whatever intelligence we could find there. This partol I'm referring to did get hit one night when I was wasn't with them and my RTO was killed.

It is not a black and white issue.

John R...

P.S. Although my officer mos was maintenance and supply my enlisted man mos was 11B10 which I am very proud of.

John

What you describe about your unit is exactly why they put this award out. Like I said many New Troops with non- Infantry MOS perform these operations on a daily basis. They are not eligible for a CIB So now they are awarded the CAB for those Missions.

Simply put the DOD did not want to change the AR in regards to the CIB for obvious reasons so they created the CAB.

My problem is the old vets probably a Million Plus now want to be included. I'm afraid this will burden the system to the point that Vets wanting to pull records for Medical Claims will have to wait longer than they are already waiting. Now one remedy would be to hire more people to handle it because the RVN and WW2 vets must be looked up by hand. Don't know if that will happen though.

I got nothing against the CAB, I just think its not good timing to do it now.