Return to Website

The Ivy Division Forum

WELCOME to THE IVY DIVISION Message Forum 
THIS website is a private SUPPORT SITE for 4th ID veterans, active duty soldiers, family members, friends and everyone who supports our troops no matter how you feel about our leaders. Troublemakers, gossips. trolls, liars, etc are NOT welcome here. Posts that defame,, humiliate and/or intimidate other posters or the webmaster will be deleted without notice or comment. Please read the rules on the Main Page, thank you!
This forum has a long history, by interent standards anyway-unfortunately it has been abandoned for far too long due to real life circumstances knocking the heck out of what had been my very real desire to keep this board alive and well forever so that all of us could meet here and communicate with each other everyday.

I'm not sure that a forum like this is even needed nowadays since the advent of facebook, etc...but I hope that this once thriving BB does bring some of us back together again and that maybe some new folks will join us as well!   
Webmaster: Bob Poff, C-1-8, 1968-1969 robert8h@yahoo.com
Thank You for Visiting The Ivy Division.com!
Open 24 Hours a Day, 365 Days a Year
Friends of The Ivy Division
A.B.,HONORARY GRUNT!
jinks' www.vietnamvets.com messageboard
Jim Bury's Ivy Dragoons website
Redleg's 4ID Forum

The IVY Division is back, the love of my life
Julie and I are married and we welcome
you Back to the IVY Division Forum!!!

The Ivy Division Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Veteran's Administration Cover Up of PTSD

San Francisco - There is new evidence suggesting the Veteran's Administration is covering-up sub-standard mental health care given to vets. There's evidence a federal judge in San Francisco accepted on Tuesday, even though the case has already been tried.

The email was written in March by Norma Perez, Ph.D., a V.A. psychologist who coordinates post-traumatic stress disorder cases.

She wrote, "Given that we are having more and more compensation-seeking veterans, I'd like to suggest that you refrain from giving a diagnosis of PTSD straight out. Consider a diagnosis of adjustment disorder."

The email was discovered by accident through a Freedom of Information request by a veterans group.

"It is a very ****ing email. Cut off the money, disguise them with adjustment disorders so they don't get V.A. benefits," said Gordon Erspamer, a Veterans Groups' Lawyer.

Attorneys for Veteran's groups suing the V.A. say the email supports their case that the dept has failed to diagnose and treat PTSD and other mental health problems.

Their lawsuit asks the court to force the V.A. to treat veterans who show signs of PTSD and are at risk of suicide.

The V.A. says the email's author admits it was poorly worded and has no bearing on the lawsuit.

"I think she made it clear she had mistakes. The secretary has disciplined her and also said she doesn't reflect any V.A. policies," said Kerri Childress, a Veterans Administration spokesperson.

This is the second email that the veterans say the V.A. has tried to conceal from the public.

The first surfaced during the trial that ended last month. The V.A.'s Mental Health Director Dr. Ira Katz, M.D. wrote that there were 1,000 suicide attempts a month among veterans.

Katz said, "Is this something we should address ourselves in some sort of release before someone stumbles on it?"

"The first one says lets cover the 1,000 suicide attempts per month and the second one says lets deny benefits," said Sid Wolinsky, a Veterans Groups' Lawyer.

Federal Judge Samuel Conti granted the veterans groups request to enter the email as evidence even though the non-jury trial ended last month. He's expected to rule on the lawsuit any day now.

Re: Veteran's Administration Cover Up of PTSD

every time I read something like this it makes me sick. such treatment of men and women who have been sent to war by this government being denied the help they need is getting to be the standard for this nation. Reeks of a poor administration that wants to save money and continue to cut the funds needed to help these people.

Re: Veteran's Administration Cover Up of PTSD

One thing that has been buried in this trial in the mounds of improprieties is the thing that really caused all the hoop la.

Congress allotted the VA 60 Million Dollars Over and above the Budget so the VA could take in more Troops that were seeking PTSD Treatment. Sort of a cushion and also told the VA if that runs out We can fund more as needed.

The main problem and Mistake Congress made on this is in the Bill they listed the 60 Million as "Discretionary". Big MISTAKE! They should have learned from the VA's past track record to make it of a "mandatory" nature, because the VA used 20 million for PTSD care and then started the New Vets coming into the system that there was NO MORE MONEY and they would have to be put on a waiting list.

The VA DIVERTED the remaining 40 Million to something else and the GAO can't even find out where it went!

To divert funds of this nature can't be done by some Flunky like Perez, its done by someone in the VA in a position of power and that person takes orders from the TOP.

This is just another example of why "MANDATORY VA FUNDING" should be voted in effect. Mandatory Funding of the VA isn't an "Open Checkbook" as many argue, its granting enough money to do the job and makes certain that the VA money that's allotted is spent on what its intended for!

Many in Congress on both sides appose it because they will no longer be able to Kick the VA budget around like a political Football, this Administration apposes it because it will cost more money!

I would really like to know what happened to the 40 million, but I think that both the "Walter Reed Twins, Peake and Kussman", have too many questions to answer and will never get around to it!

BTW-
No additional funding was asked for by the VA Heads, Wonder who instructed them NOT to ask for more and just let these new Vets suffer? They would rather enter into a lawsuit and pay Government Lawyers Money to Fight Combat Veterans seeking Proper Earned care!

Support The The Troops??