Return to Website

The Ivy Division Forum

WELCOME to THE IVY DIVISION Message Forum 
THIS website is a private SUPPORT SITE for 4th ID veterans, active duty soldiers, family members, friends and everyone who supports our troops no matter how you feel about our leaders. Troublemakers, gossips. trolls, liars, etc are NOT welcome here. Posts that defame,, humiliate and/or intimidate other posters or the webmaster will be deleted without notice or comment. Please read the rules on the Main Page, thank you!
This forum has a long history, by interent standards anyway-unfortunately it has been abandoned for far too long due to real life circumstances knocking the heck out of what had been my very real desire to keep this board alive and well forever so that all of us could meet here and communicate with each other everyday.

I'm not sure that a forum like this is even needed nowadays since the advent of facebook, etc...but I hope that this once thriving BB does bring some of us back together again and that maybe some new folks will join us as well!   
Webmaster: Bob Poff, C-1-8, 1968-1969 robert8h@yahoo.com
Thank You for Visiting The Ivy Division.com!
Open 24 Hours a Day, 365 Days a Year
Friends of The Ivy Division
A.B.,HONORARY GRUNT!
jinks' www.vietnamvets.com messageboard
Jim Bury's Ivy Dragoons website
Redleg's 4ID Forum

The IVY Division is back, the love of my life
Julie and I are married and we welcome
you Back to the IVY Division Forum!!!

The Ivy Division Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bush: Troubled financial system is basically sound

Troubled financial system is basically sound

By TERENCE HUNT, AP White House Correspondent
41 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - President Bush said Tuesday the nation's troubled financial system is "basically sound" and urged lawmakers to quickly enact legislation to prop up mortgage giants Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. He also called on the Democratic-run Congress to follow his example and lift a ban on offshore drilling to help increase domestic oil production.

"I readily concede it won't produce a barrel of oil tomorrow, but it will reverse the psychology," Bush told a White House news conference — his first since late April.

Bush said the two troubled mortgage companies play a central role in the nation's housing-finance system and that government action to help them were not bailouts because the two would remain shareholder-owned companies.

"I don't think the government ought to be involved in bailing out companies," Bush said.

Amid soaring gas prices, the toughest real estate market in decades, falling home prices and financing that's harder to come by, Bush said: "It's been a difficult time for many American families." But he also said that the nation's economy continues to grow, if slowly.

Bush said that despite the woes of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac and the recent government takeover of California bank IndyMac, U.S. depositors should not worry because their deposits are insured by the government up to $100,000

"If you're a depositor, you're protected by the federal government," Bush said.

The administration and the Federal Reserve announced an emergency rescue plan Sunday to bolster Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, which hold or guarantee more than $5 trillion in mortgages — almost half of the nation's total.

The plan would temporarily increase a long-standing Treasury line of credit that could be provided to either company. Treasury also said it would, if necessary, buy stock in the companies to make sure they have enough money to operate.

The Fed also announced that it would allow Fannie and Freddie to get loans directly from the Fed — a privilege previously granted only to commercial banks until this March, when the Fed extended the borrowing to investment banks to deal with the collapse of Bear Stearns.

At the same time, a housing package was heading toward final congressional passage. It would modernize the Federal Housing Administration and create a new regulator and tighter controls for Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.

It's this legislation that Bush urged Congress to pass as soon as possible.

Congress could move as early as this week on the housing legislation to send it to Bush. First, though, House and Senate leaders must strike a deal in consultation with Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson to resolve key differences so Bush, who has threatened to veto the measure, will sign it.

"I think the system is basically sound, I truly do," Bush said. "I understand there's a lot of nervousness. The economy is growing. Productivity is high. Trade's up. People are working — it's not as good as we'd like. And to the extent that we'll find weakness, we'll move."

Re: Bush: Troubled financial system is basically sound

Pt2:

Bush defended his insistence that the U.S. economy was not in a recession, even though many economists believe it is.

He said the traditional definition of a recession — two quarters in a row of negative growth — had not been met.

"I'm not an economist, but I do believe we're growing," he said. "I'm an optimist. I believe there's a lot of positive things for the economy."

He acknowledged, however, that "it's not growing as it should."

On Capitol Hill, Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke warned that inflation seemed likely to move even higher and economic growth would be "appreciably below its trend rate,"

"In general, healthy economic growth depends on well-functioning financial markets," Bernanke said. "Consequently, helping the financial markets to return to more normal functioning will continue to be a top priority," he said.

Bush acknowledged it could take years before opening the Continental Shelf to oil drilling would result in increased U.S. production. But, he said, at least it would put the nation on the right track toward reducing its reliance on imported oil.

"There is no short term solution," Bush said. "The president doesn't have a magic wand. You can't just say, 'Low gas.' "

Asked about his comment earlier this year that he hadn't heard of $4 gasoline, Bush said: "I've heard of it now."

Asked why he hasn't appealed more to Americans to conserve energy, Bush said: "They're smart enough to figure out whether they're going to drive less or not ... The marketplace works."

"If they're not in their homes, they ought not to keep the air conditioning running. There's a lot they can do," he added.

Bush's first full-blown exchange with reporters at the White House since April 29 came amid troubling developments in Afghanistan, where U.S. deaths have risen.

That's like listening to Duane...only Bush does make you laugh!!

Are you giggling joy or are you cackelling like shrillary. the nation is probably bascicly sound the biggest problem is energy. Oil, we have the oil but the democrats wont let american companys drill where the oil is. Oil doesnt exist under every inch of the surface. It does exist in ANWAR in the OCL off florida and the east coast. People like barackHUSSIEN obama( who never sold a newspaper shined shoes boxed groceries) Nacy pelosi hairy reed are responsible for the high prices of gasoline by not letting oil be found in this country.

We have enough oil already drilled if they would use it...but no you people would rather destroy what beauty is left of this country.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3340274697167011147

or copy and paste to your browser, Duane....if you can understand it