Return to Website

The Ivy Division Forum

WELCOME to THE IVY DIVISION Message Forum 
THIS website is a private SUPPORT SITE for 4th ID veterans, active duty soldiers, family members, friends and everyone who supports our troops no matter how you feel about our leaders. Troublemakers, gossips. trolls, liars, etc are NOT welcome here. Posts that defame,, humiliate and/or intimidate other posters or the webmaster will be deleted without notice or comment. Please read the rules on the Main Page, thank you!
This forum has a long history, by interent standards anyway-unfortunately it has been abandoned for far too long due to real life circumstances knocking the heck out of what had been my very real desire to keep this board alive and well forever so that all of us could meet here and communicate with each other everyday.

I'm not sure that a forum like this is even needed nowadays since the advent of facebook, etc...but I hope that this once thriving BB does bring some of us back together again and that maybe some new folks will join us as well!   
Webmaster: Bob Poff, C-1-8, 1968-1969 robert8h@yahoo.com
Thank You for Visiting The Ivy Division.com!
Open 24 Hours a Day, 365 Days a Year
Friends of The Ivy Division
A.B.,HONORARY GRUNT!
jinks' www.vietnamvets.com messageboard
Jim Bury's Ivy Dragoons website
Redleg's 4ID Forum

The IVY Division is back, the love of my life
Julie and I are married and we welcome
you Back to the IVY Division Forum!!!

The Ivy Division Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
John McCains veteran voting record

It was reported last night on MSNBC That John McCain has a bad voying record on matters that would benifit Veterans. It also Said that DAV rated McCain 20 and Obama 80. Could this be true?

Re: John McCains veteran voting record

Grant yes this is known about Senator McCain, his non support of veteran issues.

alot of this can be located on the net. here is an example from veterans for Common Sense

http://www.veteransforcommonsense.org/articleid/9559

Yes the DAV gave him a 20% and that is generous as far as I'm concerned. Its really more like 16%, But I'm not going to raise a stink over 4% because 20% is a sorry showing for a Man that has been threw the system and CLAIMS to love the Vets and Troops so much.

His latest Benefit objection was the recent Webb new GI Bill to benefit ONLY the New Troops. Seems John McSame decided to side with Bush and oppose it. He opposed it but never showed up to even Vote. Guess he figured that would get him off the Hook. WRONG!

That measure WAS vetoed by Bush and then congress, both Dems and REPUBICANS voted to override that veto!

To say that John McSame has a sorry Voting record on both Vet issues and issues that concern the returning Troops to me is an "UNDERSTATEMENT"!

McCain: ‘I Received The Highest Award From Literally Every Veterans Organization In America’»

The recognition McCain has received from veterans groups is not "high awards" but failing grades:

— Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America gave McCain a grade of D for his record of voting against veterans. (By contrast, Obama got a B+.)

– Disabled Veterans of America noted McCain’s dismal 20 percent voting record on veterans’ issues. (Obama had an 80 percent.)

– In a list of "Key Votes," Vietnam Veterans of America (VVA) notes McCain "Voted Against Us" 15 times and "Voted For Us" only 8. (Obama voted for VVA 12 times, and against only once.)

I tried to sort this out once, just for my own sake.
There are a lot of groups out there measuring, and they all measure differently. For instance almost every congressman can make the general statement "I voted for the recent increase in Veterans benefits." That statement would probably be true - as far as it goes. Very few would vote "NAY" on the floor. However, there are a lot of adjustments that take place in committee before the bill even reaches the floor. Once it gets to the floor there are a lot of riders, and amendments, to vote on. So a Congressman may do everything in his power to "gut" the bill in committee. He may propose riders, or amendments, which further weaken the original bill. The law, as finally passed, may be far less than originally proposed. Yet, the Congressman can say - "I voted for the incease in Veterans benefits." As the saying goes - "Figures never lie, but liars always figure."
Another point is which Veterans groups are you counting, and what issues are IMPORTANT TO THEM? I usually trust organizations such as the DAV, VVA, VFW, and AL. But there are many other officially recognized Veterans groups, and they don't all have the same agenda.
For instance, back when Hillary was still in the race, I decided to collect the score cards from various groups to compare the candidates in both parties. Hillary rated pretty high with the VVA. McCain's rating was pretty dismal. But there were some organizations, which claimed to be rating the candidates based on "VETERANS' ISSUES," who had them rated almost the opposite. McCain at 80% - Clinton at 20%. When I checked the issues they were being rated on, I found out it was things like support for the war in Iraq, support for detentions without habeus corpus, bills to require God to be mentioned in the Pledge of Allegence, The amendment to make flag burning a federal crime. Whether you think these issues are important or not, doesn't matter. They are not Veterans issues.

Groups like Veterans of America, Veterans for America and Veterans for Common Sense are mainly involved with the Current War Veterans problems.

For instance at the time Veterans of America are fighting to get the law passed that involves Current war Wounded Veterans that are Boarded out Not having to pay back Enlistment Bonuses. Amoung many Other issues.

Veterans For America are currently involved in the "Stop Loss" policy that holds over troops beyond their enlistment. BTW-This group was started by Bobby Muller the creator and former president of the Vietnam Veterans of America. The groups work (Somewhat together).

Paul Sullivans Group, Veterans for Common Sense have been involved in many issues that call for the improvement of VA Medical Care toward the New Veterans. Like long waiting lists and just being flat out denied because the VA says there's no funds available.

Yes, they are all Considered New Groups 4 to 6 years in existence, but they have many members signed.

New groups Doc, but the same old problems that we had! I personally think its a disgrace.

no rebuttal or comments from duane ? Oh this is about Senator McCain not Senator Obama, I see