Return to Website

The Ivy Division Forum

WELCOME to THE IVY DIVISION Message Forum 
THIS website is a private SUPPORT SITE for 4th ID veterans, active duty soldiers, family members, friends and everyone who supports our troops no matter how you feel about our leaders. Troublemakers, gossips. trolls, liars, etc are NOT welcome here. Posts that defame,, humiliate and/or intimidate other posters or the webmaster will be deleted without notice or comment. Please read the rules on the Main Page, thank you!
This forum has a long history, by interent standards anyway-unfortunately it has been abandoned for far too long due to real life circumstances knocking the heck out of what had been my very real desire to keep this board alive and well forever so that all of us could meet here and communicate with each other everyday.

I'm not sure that a forum like this is even needed nowadays since the advent of facebook, etc...but I hope that this once thriving BB does bring some of us back together again and that maybe some new folks will join us as well!   
Webmaster: Bob Poff, C-1-8, 1968-1969 robert8h@yahoo.com
Thank You for Visiting The Ivy Division.com!
Open 24 Hours a Day, 365 Days a Year
Friends of The Ivy Division
A.B.,HONORARY GRUNT!
jinks' www.vietnamvets.com messageboard
Jim Bury's Ivy Dragoons website
Redleg's 4ID Forum

The IVY Division is back, the love of my life
Julie and I are married and we welcome
you Back to the IVY Division Forum!!!

The Ivy Division Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Site costs

I have bumped up all of the "popup discussions" I could find, so we can see who-said-what-when.
I thought bobbi was justified in her explanation, because many of us thought she had some kind of control over the situation - and she was taking some of the heat over the pop-up issue. She was letting us know she had no control over it. I am sorry that it has turned into a "cat fight."
As for costs.
The web site/domain costs $99.00 per year. This includes a FREE forum. This free service comes with all of the annoying ads we see now. You have to upgrade to the "PREMIUM" service to have a pop-up free forum. This service costs an ADDITIONAL $59.95 per year. ($6.95 per/mo.) The "free services" all cost between $39.95 - $54.95 per year, if you don't want to be bothered by ads. If you want to remove the bravenet tag from the top of the forum page, it will cost yet an ADDITIONAL $54.95 per/year. I have not looked into purchasing a forum WITHOUT a domain/website as "A Friend" mentioned.
I think I understand where the mis-understandings have arisen. Bob did indeed pay for thee web hosting at $99.00 per/year. However, this does not eliminate pop-ups from the FREE Forum service. That would cost an additional $54.95 per/year or $6.95 per/month.
Speaking for myself only, the forum is the prime reason I visit this site. Bravenet, however, does not make it clear EXACTLY what you are paying for. I regard it as a "Bait & Switch" which I ran afoul of myself. John, you may recall asking me why there were still pop-ups on my forum when I first started the site? This was because, while I had paid the $99.00 for the website, I did not realize that it would cost an additional $59.95 each to keep the forum and other ad-ons pop-up free.

Re: Site costs

Mad Doc,

Thanks for the very comprehensive explanation. There may be more to this then meets the eye. I recognize that Bob has had some personal issues to deal with after he created the forum. From broken love affairs, to unfortunate deaths in his family. I, myself, since this board started have lost a mother, sister and brother. Personal tragedy is something no one is immuned to. I think that we can all agree that Bob and Julie finding each other is a wonderful thing for them. It just doesn't have anything to do with this board.

Many of us I have made comments about the personal nature of some of the post made by Bob and Julie to each other over the course of time. I have never understood it because it seemed somewhat juvenile. Not the being in love part but the public nature of expressing it. By the way, I understand that if I have to explain why it's inappropriate to Julie and Bob then they aren't going to get it anyway and the defenses will surely follow coupled with their valids explanations for their behavior.

Having said all of that, the bottom line was it had always been held out that annoying things like pop-ups would not be part of the experience here, expenses not withstanding.

When Bob first created this board with the support and the endorsement of many who were disappointed when the 4TH ID website shut down their forum. Some of us sent unsolicited funds to Bob to help offset the board's expenses and to keep it commercial free. Bob insisted it was not a burden and if things changed all he had to do was ask and many of us would be more than happy to comply with more donations. It seems that Bob has determined that he would preferr us to be annoyed rather than simply solve the problem. Frankly, I just don't get it.

It's no secret that this boards participation by other than a handful of people is virtually zero. In the initial stages of this forum there was robust and open debate about topical issues from all corners of the counrty. It has since deteriorated to little more than a tit for tat bantering by the village idiot, Duane, and few who unwittlingly encourage him.

I wish Bob would take the high road and just close it down and recommend to those who are interested in continuing its legacy to visit your site. It's very well done and commercial free and if you need donations, I'm on board.

I agree with your assessment of the "cat fight" going on between Bobbi and Julie. Although, I have no interest in taking sides, I think Bobbi's participation and explanation was well warranted. Julie has no real connection to this board other than her relationship with Bob and quite frankly the way she coddled to Duane's endearing comments suggest that she can bought with a song. Please, Julie, enough with the, "Thank you Duane, that was very understanding of you and we both appreciate it. Thank you too for the good wishes to Bob and myself.
have a good day". Duane is not a friend to the spirit of this board and never will be.

So in closing, I wish everyone a happy day and Bobbi, especially, thank you for your openness, forthrightness and general all around candor.

Respectfully submitted,
John R...

Julie has the apparently crazy idea that when someone tries to be nice its a nice thing to encourage them, to thank them-even if they're a pain in the ass most of the time, but then shes a teacher who has to encourage bad kids to try harder to be good kids, even when shes become disgusted with their rotten behavior. That's not her being bought for a song, jeez. Would that we all tried a little harder to be nice, especially duane and itd be nice if people could put themselves in our place and bic that we arent together and arent even in the same time zone and so, don't have the zillion options people who are together have to show affection and surprise each orher so sometimes we have come here to say something loving to each other, to surprise our partner-jesus christ, its one of the few different things we can do when were limited to phone calls during a small window of opportunity most days, online chats and emails. You can do a 1000 different things to surprise someone you love whos there with you, LUCKY YOU, we are not so lucky-itd be nice if you counted your blessings and put yourself in our place and truly bicced how hard it is for us rather than moan a about an occiasional mushy post or two between two people who love each other but who are 6000 miles apart and who've only had a few months together so far. ****.

I won't ever shut this place down, that is one promise I won't break even if you leave, John. Ill miss you and I hope you come back when I am back and working on getting this place back to what it once was. Im well aware of the current state of affairs here and Im not any happier about it than you are.

Thank you for your thoughts and for being one of the regulars here for so long, John. I have always respected your opinions and Ive always liked you but I dont always agree with you. Take care.

Baby, we know that other couples cant possibly bic unless theyve been in our situation and neither of us would wish that on anyone else, would we?! ilusdm Julie

John R is apparently figuring that he can sit in his ivory tower and never have to listen to anyone expressing an opposing view. Unfortunately i come along and do just that . It upsets him no end that anyone would take the right of free speech literally That it means what it says " that congress shall make no law abriging the peoples right to free speech'. I say he has every right as does everyone lese here to express their fews in ant way theu so choose. I dont personally insult anyone except when i have been insulted. So i do wish Bob and Julie well. And until we meet again bye for now.

I haven't been by in awhile but if financing is an issue, I would be happy to send a contribution.