Return to Website

The Ivy Division Forum

WELCOME to THE IVY DIVISION Message Forum 
THIS website is a private SUPPORT SITE for 4th ID veterans, active duty soldiers, family members, friends and everyone who supports our troops no matter how you feel about our leaders. Troublemakers, gossips. trolls, liars, etc are NOT welcome here. Posts that defame,, humiliate and/or intimidate other posters or the webmaster will be deleted without notice or comment. Please read the rules on the Main Page, thank you!
This forum has a long history, by interent standards anyway-unfortunately it has been abandoned for far too long due to real life circumstances knocking the heck out of what had been my very real desire to keep this board alive and well forever so that all of us could meet here and communicate with each other everyday.

I'm not sure that a forum like this is even needed nowadays since the advent of facebook, etc...but I hope that this once thriving BB does bring some of us back together again and that maybe some new folks will join us as well!   
Webmaster: Bob Poff, C-1-8, 1968-1969 robert8h@yahoo.com
Thank You for Visiting The Ivy Division.com!
Open 24 Hours a Day, 365 Days a Year
Friends of The Ivy Division
A.B.,HONORARY GRUNT!
jinks' www.vietnamvets.com messageboard
Jim Bury's Ivy Dragoons website
Redleg's 4ID Forum

The IVY Division is back, the love of my life
Julie and I are married and we welcome
you Back to the IVY Division Forum!!!

The Ivy Division Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Most companies in US avoid federal income taxes

Most companies in US avoid federal income taxes
August 12, 2008 00:25 EDT

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Government Accountability Office is set to release a report that says most U.S. corporations pay no federal income taxes.

And most foreign companies that do business in the U.S. aren't paying corporate taxes.

The study says about two-thirds of American corporations paid zero income taxes to Uncle Sam between 1998 and 2005. An even higher percentage of foreign corporations avoided federal corporate taxes. At the same time, says the GAO, the firms had trillions of dollars in sales.

The study was requested by Democratic Senators Carl Levin of Michigan and Byron Dorgan of North Dakota. Dorgan says, quote, "It's shameful that so many corporations make big profits and pay nothing to support our country."

The report doesn't name names and the congressional agency didn't investigate why corporations aren't paying corporate or income taxes. But the GAO says it could be because of operating losses and tax credits.

Re: Most companies in US avoid federal income taxes

I think they also said when they cut it by size, that the largest corporations are paying taxes. A much larger proportion of the smaller ones (I'm thinking a lot of the start-ups) that aren't paying. I know the large corporations do what they can to minimize the taxes they pay but since I do the same thing, I'm hard pressed to critcize.

Re: Most companies in US avoid federal income taxes

Most of the corporations in this country are relatively samll companys incorporated for one reason or another. Mostly to make it easier amd less costly to pass the company onto the owners family Inheritance taxes etc. When those companys , corporations make money the money goes to the stockholders and those stockholders pay taxes. The two democratic senatora Dorgan and Levin are anti business anti anything that has made this country great. They like almost all democrats want to comfiscate all private property in the united states and revive the USSR.