Return to Website

The Ivy Division Forum

WELCOME to THE IVY DIVISION Message Forum 
THIS website is a private SUPPORT SITE for 4th ID veterans, active duty soldiers, family members, friends and everyone who supports our troops no matter how you feel about our leaders. Troublemakers, gossips. trolls, liars, etc are NOT welcome here. Posts that defame,, humiliate and/or intimidate other posters or the webmaster will be deleted without notice or comment. Please read the rules on the Main Page, thank you!
This forum has a long history, by interent standards anyway-unfortunately it has been abandoned for far too long due to real life circumstances knocking the heck out of what had been my very real desire to keep this board alive and well forever so that all of us could meet here and communicate with each other everyday.

I'm not sure that a forum like this is even needed nowadays since the advent of facebook, etc...but I hope that this once thriving BB does bring some of us back together again and that maybe some new folks will join us as well!   
Webmaster: Bob Poff, C-1-8, 1968-1969 robert8h@yahoo.com
Thank You for Visiting The Ivy Division.com!
Open 24 Hours a Day, 365 Days a Year
Friends of The Ivy Division
A.B.,HONORARY GRUNT!
jinks' www.vietnamvets.com messageboard
Jim Bury's Ivy Dragoons website
Redleg's 4ID Forum

The IVY Division is back, the love of my life
Julie and I are married and we welcome
you Back to the IVY Division Forum!!!

The Ivy Division Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Former Marine SgtLuis Nazario jr aquitted of of voluntarily murdering iraqis

Tiday in Riverside California justise was served when a civilian jury aquitted a former marine of voluntary manslaughter. Every loyal american should be glad that our court Jury system has triumphed. And our loyal american soldiers can be sure that they will no longer be subjected to prosecution for defendlng themselves and their country at the whim of a political snake like John Murtha, of course a democrat. And yes the brass did this because they knew know that Hussien Obama and the democrats will stab them in the back if the shiny golden one gets power. Of course if he does every american is doomed.

Re: Former Marine SgtLuis Nazario jr aquitted of of voluntarily murdering iraqis

Actually, Quano, our court system triumphs when justice is served - regardless of whether that results in an acquittal or a conviction.

I would point out, however, that this fellow was not involved in the case that you and I had disagreed about earlier.

Re: Former Marine SgtLuis Nazario jr aquitted of of voluntarily murdering iraqis

O.J. Simpson was also accuitted of murder.

Duane there is no such thing as a 'former marine" and Marine is spelt with a capital M.

Of course we are all glad that he was aquitted. If you believe in the law then the right thing will happen [most of the time ]

i cant believe that Mike ivy and Jacqui are glad the an american Marine or soldier is given a fair trial . That he is not railroaded to suit the leadership of of the democrat party so they can get more money from the islamic facsits.

Actually, Duane, you are the only one on the board that I have ever seen argue against fair trials for any accused troops.

No jacqui it is people like you and other democrats who advocate U S soldiers being prosecuted for defending themselves and defeating the people who would destroy the U s and all its people. Look what happened to a battalion commander in the 4th div. He took a enemy pushed his heaqd in the dirt and fired one round beside the guys ear. as a result the islamic facsit spilled his guts. The information helped that Lt Col. save the lives of many of his soldiers. The Col. was railroaded by the bleeding hearts in the democrat party. His first name is steve and he is now running for congress in Florida. And god help us i hope he wins.

You were personally there when he spilled his guts, right, Quano? You know for a fact that the informaton that he gave was accurate and useful, right?

You spend a lot of time bitching about minorities committing crimes but you have no problem at all when it is what you choose to consider Americans committing the crimes. You do do not value the law at all and are not intersted in the idea of fair trials or justice. You don't believe in an equal application of the rights espoused in the Constitutions or the laws of the United States.

In plain and simple terms, you are just about as much of an Un-American ass as any native born I have ever met.

I was born a Soldier and as far back as I can remember I have felt that the American Fighting man would obey and follow the rules of land warfare. At birth I was given the names of two union and one confederate generals. even though my name of Shelby was more from a county that was named in honor of a confederate General. On enlisting in the Illinois national Guard on September 17 1952 at the age of 13. I Immediately started receiving instructions on the Geneva Convention and Rules of land warfare. And the point driven into my head was the point that the profession of Soldiering is an honorable profession and that a Soldier is not A murderer. or a barbarian and a real Soldier will not committ atrocities or allow his soldiers to committ atrocities. And If he do he should the penalties that are outlined in th UCMJ and should be tried for war crimes, as any violater of the Geneva Convention should. However if there is a reasonable doubt as the Soldier committed the act or acts then the Solider should be acuitted. As the laws of the United States allow.

Sent to me by a friend:
Acquittal of ex-Marine sparks debate over law
By CHELSEA J. CARTER
Associated Press Writer
Some members of the civilian jury that acquitted a former Marine accused of war crimes in Iraq say they weren't qualified to judge actions in combat, and military and legal experts said the case raises serious questions about whether federal prosecutors should even pursue such cases.

"I don't think we had any business doing that," said juror Nicole Peters, who wiped away tears during Thursday's verdict and later hugged the defendant, Jose Luis Nazario Jr. "I thought it was unfair to us and to him."

Some jurors hugged and shook hands with Nazario, his mother and his attorneys after Nazario was cleared in the killing of four unarmed Iraqi detainees.

"It's a very reasoned response from those jurors because they apparently recognized this was not something they were well-suited to determine," said Gary Solis, a former Marine Corps prosecutor and judge who teaches law of war at Georgetown University Law Center.

"In my view, it's going to cause the U.S. attorneys to give a second thought to prosecuting soldiers for acts that occurred in combat," he said.

John D. Hutson, dean of the Franklin Pierce Law Center and a retired Navy rear admiral, countered that jurors routinely sit in judgment of actions they have never experienced.

"How many jurors have been involved in a domestic dispute in which a person was killed. None. You don't put those people on a jury," he said.

Nazario, 28, of Riverside, Calif., was the first military veteran brought to trial under the Military Extraterritorial Jurisdiction Act, which was written in 2000 and amended in 2004 primarily to allow prosecution of civilian contractors who commit crimes while working for the U.S. overseas.

It also allows the prosecution of military dependents and those who have completed their term of military service.

One author of the act said it might be time to take another look.

"I don't think any of us who passed that legislation thought we were now going to have people discharged from the military being charged in federal court," said Sen. Jeff Sessions, R-Ala.

"There are all kinds of problems with witnesses and evidence and those kinds of things, in addition to the fact that military persons are operating in an environment quite different from the normal street crime we see," he said.

The evidence against Nazario included testimony by former comrades who heard gunshots but did not see the shooting that occurred on Nov. 9, 2004, during house-to-house fighting in Fallujah during "Operation Phantom Fury." The prosecution had no bodies, no identities, no crime scene and no forensic evidence to present to the jury.

Some jurors felt there was insufficient evidence to convict Nazario. Juror Ted Grinell said there weren't any "real witnesses" to the alleged shootings.

Laurie Levenson, a professor at Loyola Law School and a former federal prosecutor, said it might not be prudent to judge the effectiveness of the Military Extraterritorial Jurisdiction Act based on just one verdict.

"But it's worth taking a closer look at whether civilian juries will ever have the confidence to believe they can sit in judgment in these cases," she said.

Solis and David Glazier, an associate professor at Loyola Law School, said Congress should perhaps consider amending the Uniform Code of Military Justice to allow service members who have completed their term of service to be recalled to duty to face prosecutions.

"The average American is reluctant to second-guess the conduct of a service person in a combat zone," Glazier said.

____

Associated Press writer Ben Evans in Washington contributed to this report

No Jacqui i wasnt there when the Lt Col scared that islamic insurgent. But i read the col.s account of the incident The al quidi was sus pected of being involved in ambush bombings on American troops . Apparently the information the gut gave our soldiers saved american lives. You dont like that do you saving american lives? Thats the big diffirence bey=tween you and i . You have such a fancatical hatred of Bush and Cheny that you are more than willing to have every american soldier and citizen to be sacrificed to make sure Bush and Cheny pay for the crimes you have convicted them of.
But you wont take the step of making a citizens arrest of Bush and Cheny and present that irefutable evidence you have in open court.
If i knew without a doubt that someone had robbed a bank . I would make a citizens arrest. And since you ahve already convicted them it would be just a matter of you carrying out the sentence. Shouldnt it be?

Quano, you lie as easily as your breathe - indeed, I suspect that you breathe only so that you can continue to lie.

I find it immensely funny that you think that on the one hand you consider Petraeus and his officers the saviors of America for their surge strategy and on the other are totally convinced that they are out to allow terrorists to kill their soldiers.

I know that you enjoy some werid fantasy about how it is the liberal politicians who are somehow making it hard for Americans to defend themselves.

But even in your fogged view of the world, you DO understand that it is actually the military command structure in Iraq that has brought everyone of these charges, don't you Quano? I mean you were actually in the Army like you claim, right?

You do get it that it was this Lt. Colonel's superiors who charged him with violating orders and who said that there was no evidence that that any valuable intelligence was gained by the Lt. Colonel's illegal actions?

And, please, color me shocked that the this cowboy LTC claimed that his actions were justified. I mean, goodness knows, nobody who found themselves in trouble while playing out their cowboy fantasies has ever given self-serving statements, have they?

I made a mistake concerning the Lt col who saved the lives of a number of his men by scaring a islamic terrorist. His name is Allen west and he is now retired from the army and is currently runing for congress in the 22nd district of Florida against a man named klien.
Col west is a real american who has no time for islamic un american facsits like his opponent does.
Col west deserves the vote of everyone in that district. i cant vote for him but i can and have contributed to his cmopaign to put a all american in that congressioal seat. Boo on democrats.

Hes running against a well liked incumbent in that district by his constituents and is also popular with Veterans due to his past voting record. But feel free to waste your money, there's a sucker born every minute....

And that incumbent has on his side the only molslem in the congress Keith Ellison from Minnesota who is on the side of the terrorists Ellison has never said one word against Iran's campaign to destroy the people of israel like you people here. Plus that incimbent Kleien reuses to debate Col west. They were svcheduled to ahave a debate earlier this year but the democrat dint show after agreeing to be there West was. The democrat Klien must not like the idea of speaking out in the open . Like all Demonics.

It really bugs you that the guys name is Klien - doesn't it!

Klien Speaks very ofter in the State. In fact he just raised a big stink with a Major Airline that was charging the Troops extra for their Baggage, now that Airline has suspended the charges.

I imagine that pi$$ed off many Republicans because it stopped one of their methods to PROFFITEER off the Troops that they say they support like they have been doing all along.

Just a few things that Klein is involved in that district, besides being of the Jewish Faith.

Holocaust Commission, Florida Atlantic University

Honorary Board of Directors, Holocaust Research Collection, Florida Atlantic University

Executive Committee, Jewish Community Relations Council

Member, South Palm Beach County Jewish Federation
===================================================

Me Thinks that West needs to rethink running in that district, also remember The fact that Klein walked into that district and Defeated a "Republican Incumbent" of 13 years. I don't think that some Retired Army Officer who's claim to fame is firing a pistol in some dirtbags ear has a chance. But like I said, "There's a sucker born every minute"!