Return to Website

The Ivy Division Forum

WELCOME to THE IVY DIVISION Message Forum 
THIS website is a private SUPPORT SITE for 4th ID veterans, active duty soldiers, family members, friends and everyone who supports our troops no matter how you feel about our leaders. Troublemakers, gossips. trolls, liars, etc are NOT welcome here. Posts that defame,, humiliate and/or intimidate other posters or the webmaster will be deleted without notice or comment. Please read the rules on the Main Page, thank you!
This forum has a long history, by interent standards anyway-unfortunately it has been abandoned for far too long due to real life circumstances knocking the heck out of what had been my very real desire to keep this board alive and well forever so that all of us could meet here and communicate with each other everyday.

I'm not sure that a forum like this is even needed nowadays since the advent of facebook, etc...but I hope that this once thriving BB does bring some of us back together again and that maybe some new folks will join us as well!   
Webmaster: Bob Poff, C-1-8, 1968-1969 robert8h@yahoo.com
Thank You for Visiting The Ivy Division.com!
Open 24 Hours a Day, 365 Days a Year
Friends of The Ivy Division
A.B.,HONORARY GRUNT!
jinks' www.vietnamvets.com messageboard
Jim Bury's Ivy Dragoons website
Redleg's 4ID Forum

The IVY Division is back, the love of my life
Julie and I are married and we welcome
you Back to the IVY Division Forum!!!

The Ivy Division Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Why the Powell Endorsement (Could) Matter

The news that retired Gen. Colin Powell will appear this Sunday on "Meet the Press" has set off a frenzy of speculation that former secretary of State could throw his endorsement to Barack Obama.

Powell has made little secret of his admiration for the Illinois senator in the past but has always stopped short of outright endorsing him.

Will that change on Sunday? And, if it does, how much is Powell's endorsement really worth?

Seen through the prism of our handy-dandy endorsement hierarchy, Powell's endorsement of Obama would qualify as the highest powered of all endorsements: a symbolic one.

Here's several reasons why a Powell endorsement could matter:

1. Turnabout is Fair Play. Powell is best known for his most recent job in government -- as the secretary of State for President George W. Bush. The idea that a high-ranking cabinet official in a Republican administration would come out for the Democrat is simply too juicy a story for the media to ignore. That it would be someone as high profile as Powell would only add to the titillation.

2. The Most Popular Man in America? Powell, unlike almost no other official with ties to the Bush Administration, has retained remarkable popularity ratings. In an August Fox News/Opinion Dynamics poll, more than three-quarters (76 percent) of voters viewed Powell favorably while just 13 percent saw him in an unfavorable light. A large part of Powell's appeal is his perceived bipartisanship -- a direct result of his decision to repeatedly turn down overtures to run for president in his own right. For a certain (not insubstantial) portion of the electorate, when Powell speaks, they listen. The Fox News/Opinion Dynamics poll reinforces that fact; more than one in three voters said a Powell endorsement of Obama would make them more likely to vote for the Democrat. (Hat tip to Jon "The Numbers Man" Cohen for the polling data.)

3. Iraq, All Wrong. Powell, thanks to his immense popularity, was the Bush Administration's choice to make the case in front of the United Nations for the invasion of Iraq. Powell has since called that incident a "blot" on his record, and made clear his disappointment with the prosecution of the war. An endorsement of Obama, who built his candidacy on his early opposition to the conflict, would mark a clean break with the Bush Administration on the war and would add significant heft to Obama's argument that he alone possesses the judgment to lead the U.S. in a dangerous world.

4. The Final Straw. With polling -- both in the key battleground states and nationally -- showing that voters trust Obama more than John McCain to handle the current economic morass, one of McCain's last hopes is that the the election turns back somehow to a foreign policy focus.

If Powell does endorse Obama, it would shore up the Illinois senator even if that eventuality occurred; it would be hard for McCain to slam Obama's approach on the war if the Democrat had a Powell endorsement sitting in his back pocket.

Re: Why the Powell Endorsement (Could) Matter

Mike, Powell indorsed Obama this morning. He spoke well in explaining his reason, But I have believed all along that Colin would support Barak and be on the Obama cabinet as either natinal security advisor or sec of defense. along with Hillary as sec of state. Warren Buffet as sec of treasury and T.Boone Pickens as sec ofenergy Bill Richardson has a place. And I think John Edwards can be a great sec of labor, if Barak can clean up the cheating mess. At any rate Barak will have a awesome cabinet. Por draino and Teri will miserable for the next 8 years.

Full Story:

Colin Powell, a Republican who was President Bush's first secretary of state, endorsed Democrat Barack Obama for president Sunday and criticized the tone of Republican John McCain's campaign.
Powell said both Obama and Republican John McCain are qualified to be commander in chief. But he said Obama is better suited to handle the nation's economic problems as well as help improve its standing in the world.
"It isn't easy for me to disappoint Sen. McCain in the way that I have this morning, and I regret that," Powell, interviewed on NBC's "Meet the Press," said of his longtime friend, the Arizona senator.
"But I firmly believe that at this point in America's history, we need a president that will not just continue, even with a new face and with the changes and with some maverick aspects, who will not just continue basically the policies that we have been following in recent years," Powell said.
"I think we need a transformational figure. I think we need a president who is a generational change and that's why I'm supporting Barack Obama, not out of any lack of respect or admiration for Sen. John McCain."
Powell's endorsement has been much anticipated because he is a Republican with impressive foreign policy credentials, a subject on which Obama is weak. At the same time, he is a black man and Obama would be the nation's first black president.
Powell said he was cognizant of the racial aspect of his endorsement, but said that was not the dominant factor in his decision. If it was, he said, he would have made the endorsement months ago.
Powell also expressed disappointment in the negative tone of McCain's campaign, his choice of Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as a running mate and McCain's and Palin's decision to focus in the closing weeks of the contest on Obama's ties to 1960s-era radical William Ayers.
He said McCain's choice of Palin raised questions about judgment.
"I don't believe she's ready to be president of the United States," Powell said.
Powell, as secretary of state, helped make the case before the United Nations for the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq, launched in March 2003. A retired general, he also was the nation's top military commander, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, during the first Gulf war under President George H.W. Bush.
McCain disagreed with Powell's decision and said he has been endorsed by four other former secretaries of state, all veterans of Republican administrations: Henry Kissinger, James A. Baker III, Lawrence Eagleburger and Alexander Haig.
"Well, I've always admired and respected Gen. Powell. We're longtime friends. This doesn't come as a surprise," McCain said on "Fox News Sunday."
Asked whether Powell's endorsement would undercut his campaign's assertion that Obama is not ready to lead, McCain said: "Well, again, we have a very, we have a respectful disagreement, and I think the American people will pay close attention to our message for the future and keeping America secure."
Powell said he does not plan to campaign for Obama.

Grant

Let me add Tammy Duckworth to your list for Sec. Of Veterans Affairs.

Dont put to much into what Powell says now as he was one person that was the on top that pushed very hard for the Iraq war. Now he is trying to cop a plea, to late for that. JMHO

Gary: It could be that he resents being used as a "patsy" by Bush. I wondered, at the time, why Bush didn't pick Powell as Secretary of Defense instead of that other bozo. Bush knew that Powell had credibility, at that time. He also knew that, as Secretary of Defense, he would have access to the facts. He was fed information, as Secretary of State, that fit the administration's line, and sent forth to fool the world and the American people. I've always felt that is why he resigned after the first term.

O yea I had predicted Tammy as sec of DVA a while ago. Yets in IL. have feel in love with her. She is for real and has done wonderful things already. Gary face the facts. it looks like Barack Hussein Obama will be your draino and teri's president along with the rest of us. so you might as well get use to it and enjoy the ride. And according to Colin there may be a qualified muslim running after Barak. Maybe Barak will break that glass ceiling.

teri and all

Gary, I kind of agree with part of what you say. utI don't think that Powell was one of the folks arguing for the invasion of Iraq initially. But he did let himself be used to sell the ****ed thing once it was clear that the flag was going up.

There is some evidence that he went to the CIA and asked straight out if the intel supported what they wanted him to say and was told that it did - but then he kept his mouth shut once he found out he had been lied to. And frankly, I did not think all that highly of him since he helped cover up a My Lai type massacre back in our war.

Regardless of that, I do think, though, that his endorsement will have a positive effect for Obama in a number of areas. And I will be glad for all the help we can get.

Doc You can believe what you want to but I for one am not buying into that pasty bs. He could be ****** off at Bush for not pushing him up higher but thats his problem. If his ego was hurt thats just the way it goes.I remember him going to the UN with charts and pictures giving his all to sell the war.He cant change that and that is a fact.Maybe this is his way of getting back at Bush who knows.Anyway he cant change what he said and the aftermath. JHMO

Either way, as a patsy or a liar, he doesn't look good Gary. At present he's good for Obama. Beyond that, the man's (Powell's) public credibility is gone.
There was a time when people thought he could be the first Black Man elected President. Now it looks like he will have to get by on his four star retirement pension.