Return to Website

The Ivy Division Forum

WELCOME to THE IVY DIVISION Message Forum 
THIS website is a private SUPPORT SITE for 4th ID veterans, active duty soldiers, family members, friends and everyone who supports our troops no matter how you feel about our leaders. Troublemakers, gossips. trolls, liars, etc are NOT welcome here. Posts that defame,, humiliate and/or intimidate other posters or the webmaster will be deleted without notice or comment. Please read the rules on the Main Page, thank you!
This forum has a long history, by interent standards anyway-unfortunately it has been abandoned for far too long due to real life circumstances knocking the heck out of what had been my very real desire to keep this board alive and well forever so that all of us could meet here and communicate with each other everyday.

I'm not sure that a forum like this is even needed nowadays since the advent of facebook, etc...but I hope that this once thriving BB does bring some of us back together again and that maybe some new folks will join us as well!   
Webmaster: Bob Poff, C-1-8, 1968-1969 robert8h@yahoo.com
Thank You for Visiting The Ivy Division.com!
Open 24 Hours a Day, 365 Days a Year
Friends of The Ivy Division
A.B.,HONORARY GRUNT!
jinks' www.vietnamvets.com messageboard
Jim Bury's Ivy Dragoons website
Redleg's 4ID Forum

The IVY Division is back, the love of my life
Julie and I are married and we welcome
you Back to the IVY Division Forum!!!

The Ivy Division Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
There is no one as Irish as Barack Obama

This is a hoot - and since his mother has a solid Irish heritage it has a solid basis in fact.

http://www.massachusettsobserver.com/obama.htm

Re: There is no one as Irish as Barack Obama

LOL love it

JackB Chicago is a heavy Irish democrat town. The north side Irish Cubs and the South side Irish Sox will play that piece to death in the pubs. The Italians , Poles Ukraineans and Lithuanians and Bohemians will want a piece of him too But we just want you to know that he belongs to Chicago. Right Joy and Mad doc?

Hey Grant, I have no argument about Barack being a Chicago man. But as a genealogist, I am always fascinated in how folks got to where they are. Barack's mama, along with her other ancestors, has a strong line that connects directly back to Ireland. The fellow's song has it pretty much correct.

In short, Barack Obama has just as much Irish blood as I do. I'll bet that will bug the hell out of some folks - but it is true all the same.

We are the South Side Irish, and we have to favorite clubs.
They are the Chicago White Sox, and whoever beats the Cubs.
Actually there isn't much of a North Side Irish Tradition. The South Side Irish are the people from "Back-of-the-yards." The Daley clan lives nearby, in Bridgeport. Hull House was just up Halsted street. Sinclair Lewis wrote "The Jungle" about the people who worked in "Da Yards." These are people the upper crust would call "Shanty Irish." As opposed to the wealthy "Lace Curtain Irish."

Right on Mad Doc. I grew up near the Daley clan at 3850 S wells st from 1946 untill I retired from the army in 77 that was my home of record. Worked at the stock yards as a kid at the hogslaugtering plant on 39th and union. You should see the area now. The big south side Irish are now is around 103rd and Western where you will find all of the great Irish pubs. Sout side Irish are mostly Catholic and North side Irish are mostly protestant. Going to public schools like Lane Tech and the South Side Irish went to mostly catholic schools like Quigley and DeLasalle but on St Patrick's Day. Every body in Chicago is Irish. Chicago is a wonderful diversified City with every ethnic group in the world rrepresented. In the last few years it seems as if everyone is getting along a lot better.And the city is becoming more beautiful. Really hope we get the Olympics. Come home and say hello ( Behold she stands , Beside her inland sea.)

My God! Grant is waxing poetic about Chicago. He's turning into Carl Sandburg right before our eyes... or rather screens.
I've been to the "Yards" area since they were torn down. Sinclair Lewis wouldn't recognize it. The only old features are the Gate, and the "Stock Yard Inn." I drove through the yards after they were closed but before they were completely torn down. I think it was around 1970. The pens were all gone, but a lot of the abandoned packing houses were still standing. It was a really eerie feeling, like some kind of bovine ghost town. I kept expecting to hear the cries of slaughtered animals.
I'm sure that those who have never seen the yards can't conceive of what they were like. This was more than just holding pens. It was the biggest slaughter house, and butchering plant in the world. All of the major American meat processors had their plants there. There was even a hotel, where cattlemen and wholesale buyers could stay.
My Father took me through there in the mid '50s. I was only about 10, so I don't remember a whole lot of details - just impressions. Miles and miles of pens full of lowing cattle, and bleating sheep, and grunting hogs. ("Hog butcher to the world...") Huge packing hoses and office complexes. We got there on the "EL," which still had a line servicing the stock yards in those days. It was a city unto itself. I wish I had been old enough to remember more details; but I'm glad I at least got to see it, and be left with an impression.

I was only in Chicago twice and the first time my flight lay-over was too short for me to much but hang out near the airport.

The second time was the dead of winter and it was a business conference. We left the airport by taxi and drove at high speeds down a road with potholes big enough to lose a taxi in until we cleared the highly built section of the city and ended up at a golf resort on the outskirts of town. We went back the same way - never got to see any significant parts of the city that time, either.

In the meantime we were at a golf-resort -a bleeping golf resort, in January!

You guys describe it well...haven't seen it in years...maybe next year..ots of memories!!

Joy

Joy if you come in the spring, you just might want to move back to your favorite city. The winter months are harsh. The streets are snow packed and slushy and every body is trying to get home to a cup of hot chocolate and their news channell 2,5,7,9. or 32 and dreding the drive to work the next day. But then comes spring , with the filling of the pot holes and the fixing of the streets in preparation of all of the neighboor hood fest and the blues,jazz, gospel fest in grant park along with a taste of Chicago and the polish fest and St patricks day and the big party at old St patricks church, and all of the Ethnic parades. and the hughe Memorial day parade. You will fall madly in love with the new millieum park and break your neck gawking at the trump tower as it spirals higher and higher. And you will really enjoy looking at all of the happy faces as you walk along the MAG mile. And you will be in absolute awe over what Mayor Daley has done to the city and you will be proud of him and the city. and if you come at the end of summer you may get here for the air and water show and the closing of Buckingham fouintain. Yea Joy and Mad Doc I just may talk you two into coming back home to the gates of the old stock yard and China town and the rainbow gate of North Halsted street Oh yes Behold she stands beside her inland sea. With outstreched arms, to welcome you and me. With every art, For brotherhood she stands, Love in her heart. And bounty in her hands. ( My elementary school graduation song) and Yes Mad Doc we will always have a spot in our heart for Carl Sandburg.