Return to Website

The Ivy Division Forum

THIS website is a private SUPPORT SITE for 4th ID veterans, active duty soldiers, family members, friends and everyone who supports our troops no matter how you feel about our leaders. Troublemakers, gossips. trolls, liars, etc are NOT welcome here. Posts that defame,, humiliate and/or intimidate other posters or the webmaster will be deleted without notice or comment. Please read the rules on the Main Page, thank you!
This forum has a long history, by interent standards anyway-unfortunately it has been abandoned for far too long due to real life circumstances knocking the heck out of what had been my very real desire to keep this board alive and well forever so that all of us could meet here and communicate with each other everyday.

I'm not sure that a forum like this is even needed nowadays since the advent of facebook, etc...but I hope that this once thriving BB does bring some of us back together again and that maybe some new folks will join us as well!   
Webmaster: Bob Poff, C-1-8, 1968-1969
Thank You for Visiting The Ivy!
Open 24 Hours a Day, 365 Days a Year
Friends of The Ivy Division
jinks' messageboard
Jim Bury's Ivy Dragoons website
Redleg's 4ID Forum

The IVY Division is back, the love of my life
Julie and I are married and we welcome
you Back to the IVY Division Forum!!!

The Ivy Division Forum
Start a New Topic 
Current Medical Discharges

This was sort of started on another thread but I think that it is important so im putting up another.

Let me add this about Current Medical Discharges.

Its a very slippery slope in some cases. Severance pay, lump sums can be offered and even though it may sound good at the time to a young trooper it can omit them from future Benefits for both the trooper and his family.

After the trooper goes threw the MEB-PEB process and is awarded a Disability Percentage and he thinks its low, he can request a Formal hearing. He should have his disabilities listed with codes and the % on a DD-199. Most will state "Informal" on them. He has limited amount of time to file an appeal. It is too his advantage to up the percentage because under Medical Retirement Chapter 61 laws he and his family will be eligible for Tricare Health Ins and basically all benefits a regular 20 year retiree gets.

In most cases taking the Lump Sum is a one shot deal and omits him from the above Retirement Benefits.

Also if he has any amount below 20 years in and is awarded a VA Comp.% he can also get what retirement he has coming to him. A trooper that is an E-6 and has say 10 years in at the current pay scale can get a substantial extra amount every month.

If you do have a son or daughter that is being Med Boarded out please have them use caution and not to be afraid to disagree and request an appeal and tell them "Its not a handout, Welfare or charity, Its an earned Benefit that both them and their families deserve.

Note===The above covers mostly Regular Army.

The Situation with the Reserves is a Real Nightmare, that I have yet to figure out. Many of those Troopers are really getting the Royal Shaft. I think that one is going to have to go into the Legal System to get sorted out.

Re: Current Medical Discharges

Mad Doc My Daughter is a part time Nurse at Brooke AMC and she told me that it breaks her heart to see the kids take the lump sum and buy cars and clothes and befor they know it they are broke. About a year ago I sent a notice to Bob Babcock asking him to warn our kids about this. The kids do not realize that they should take a medical discharge and then go to VA and they would be entitled to VA comp and CRSC And to set up abusiness they have Patriot espress to get loans for the car and write it of as a business exspense. The business can be pottery or basket weaving , but as a disabiled vet they have many opurtunities