The Soulpranos Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Goldmine

Could I be the first post here!

Great website, nice to see that all the years of my mispent youth were actully worth something. I first discovered the UK soul scene around 1982 when a friend told me about the Goldmine. I remember showing up on a Saturday night and wondering why the place smelled of old socks. If I remember correctly the warm up DJ was Jeff Young and of course Chris Hill spun the rest of the night. I never missed a night at the Goldmine until Chris left.

Gary and Frostie you old buggers, we used to hang out with Tim, Vic, Burger, Phil, Jackie and Jill and Russ and Grumpy.

There were so many drunken soul filled nights we enjoyed it still makes me laugh thinking back on those good times.

Richard Roberts

Where U @: Los Angeles

Re: The Goldmine

Allo Richard Maaaaaaaaaaate!Glad to see you found the site.
We still do The Lacy Lady first Sat each month-Secrets Romford-Be glad if you contribute to some of the postings-Your memories of the old days would be appreciated

Where U @: Just Visiting

Sorry Richard.....Just noticed that you allready have-Yeah ...Would love to get in touch with Celia-Can you forward her e-mail address on please maaate.

Where U @: Just Visiting

Yep - the Goldmine did it 4 me 2 - those times can never b repeated! So pleased I woz there

This is a scary website!! My past is flashing before my eyes. Wasn't the guy who carried Jeff Young's bags called Pete Tong? 1980 to 1985 I was there all the way from Weybridge - could have done with the M25 then! The dulcet tones of Chris Hill singing "If you keep on doing what you're doing, you're going to have sex with me!!" whilst demonstrating how to remove a light bulb from a train carriage ... bring it on!

Frostie,

I think Celias email is celia.dunlop@virgin.net.

Richard

And then of course there were the nights when a certain "Snowboy" used to warm up with a little latin.

I was remembering all the nights we used to go out to pubs or clubs...

Sun The Rising Sun with Russ and Grumpy.
Monday. Dukes @ chelmsford because they sometimes played good tunes
Tue The Countryman with Bob Jones
Thursday/ Zero 6

Sat The Goldmine

Then there was the Sheffield Arms, Rio at Didcot, Swan and Sugerloaf, Tots in Southend coz the girls were always great looking , The Hadleigh suites, The Fridge.

Anyone remember the alldayer in Brighton where Sade showed up before she was a hit?

Richard you old bugger, how are things out there in Sunny Calafornia?? Yes, I remember the brighton alldayer well, I actually bought Sade a drink that night, which was pretty rare for me putting my hand in my pocket!!! Not sure if you know, but Burger got married last October. All the old gang turned up, even Russ B and Bernie!!!. Felt sorry for the DJ though as Burger insisted that he played a 2 hour set of Jazz Juice tunes. Give me a shout next time you are in good old blighty and we will have to go for a beer. Happy New Year

Give Hilly an OBE!!!!!

Issa went there there was no Golda justa wierd peepolas dancin to crazy music no opera just a old man playins choons anda sayin

Where U @: were's ana I?

Gary,

Yea I saw your post on Burger getting married. I was for about 5 years. I got divorced this year. Thanks for the Green Card!!

Loving it here in LA. You should come over for a holiday. I am planning on being back in the UK this year. Took up the Sax so when I get back I can knock up a few tunes. Ya know, twinkle twinkle little star...

Where U @: LA

My Word!!The Brighton Beach Party !! Them were the days..Hilly in his green polkadot box jacket & sparkly ,might that feature at may caister 2004 ?? I can recall a massive human pyramid whilst groovin to Anita Wards "ring My bell ..my god am i showing my age! Good Times eh ??..oooh how i wish i could turn back time ...Dont remember "sade" where was i ..in the loo ???

Uncle Junior you is a funny bloke.

I went to the Goldmine a few times, circa 79 - "The Rowing Years", Gap Band etc. I just watched coz I had new trousers.

Happy days
JJ

Where U @: london

youa shoulda taken them offa ifa wanta row

Where U @: were's ana I?

Uncle Junior = Italy's answer to Stanley Unwin?

Claudio Rainieri?

Eezy
JJ

Where U @: london

Jules.....!The Brighton Beach Party saw the birth of Frosties Legendary Mystery Coach Tours..albeit,a combined effort in those days with Tim Gillis and Tetley helping out.The Sandcastle T Shirt became a classic.....Scuse me.......Ive come over all emotional!

Was that REALLY Burger I spoke to at Southport?Well done Fella!

Could there be a GOLDMINE reunion coming soon!!!!HOLD TIGHT

Where U @: The Loft

i remember my first time at the gold mine,i was blown away,we had been going to northern dos in nottingham and the ritz in manchester,they were so boring.when we got back we changed the we dressed from 36 inch bags to 40s looking peg trousers.from then on we were hooked.

wish it woz still there. grt place, bestest times. a proper reunion with some real old miners would be good

Hold VERY VERY tight....Maybe a ALL NIGHTER!!!!!! GOLDMINE STYLE!!!!!!!!!

Sheppy mate, if you mean what I think you mean that sounds REAL good. If it does materialise let's hope it includes Geoff Young. That would make it really authentic, not to mention fantastic

Where U @: www.starpointradio.com

Was only saying to my mate at Caister last week that Jeff was very conspicuous by his absence among the Usual Mafia Jock Suspects on display.

Where U @: Aveley

The reason Jeff isn't about is, he runs a very successful production company for music and TV and just dosen't have time, the last time he Dj was at a QDOS event a few years back in the city (GOOD NIGHT)Also his wfie is a very successful Dj agent and manager with a few big names on there books.But imagin this as a ONE OFF WEEKENDER....CHRIS HILL,GREG EDWAEDS,ROBBIE VINCENT,PETE TONG,JEFF YOUNG,CHRIS BROWN,SEAN FRENCH,FROGGY and a few more that would make it interesting,GILES PEERSON,DR BOB JONES,NICKY HOLLOWAY,JOEY NEGRO,SNOWBOY,PHIL LEVENE now that would be interesting THE CREAM OF UK TALENT....

a Goldmine reunion.....we could 'ave it in that pub in East Hanningfield. Richard i must know you i just can't place you.frost get to work on it.
maybe we should wear name tags with pic's from 1980

that line up would be fantastic,so would the cost.iused to jeff and pete on at gt yarmouth in the 80s,if only we could havetrevor fung as well,the line up would be fung young tong,or i,ll just have a 76 with rice,great days.

Richard that is funny

i thank you

Happy days indeed. Some great nights and things that would never happen anywhere else e.g Patrice Rushens importu PA springs to mind.