The Soulpranos Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
CAN INSTRUMENTALS BE SOULFUL

Hi all, I was just on the soulboyz forum and there was a discussion going on "can instrumentals be soulful"what do you all think?
heres a few to throw in the ring
Sausalito.....G Washington jnr
six million steps...Rahni Harris
Say you will.......Eddie Henderson.
Spanish Hustle......Fatback

Where U @: Crawley

NIK NAME Stacker

Re: CAN INSTRUMENTALS BE SOULFUL

The very word "SOUL" was first applied in the 50's to the music of musicians like Horace Silver,Cannonball Adderley,Bobby Timmons and even Brother Ray at first only used it to describe his instrumental work with the likes of Milt Jackson.
There is one simple answer to the question,A LOVE SUPREME by JOHN COLTRANE is perhaps the most "SOULFUL" music ever recorded,along with "KIND OF BLUE" by MILES.
CASE CLOSED!!
Now what about the old onion "can white men sing the blues"?

Can white men sing the blues? I'd say yes Chris, there's an awful lot of them doing it right now it in Texas, Louisiana, Georgia, Tennessee and the Carolinas. We don't hear 'em as blues isn't as popular over here. Buy any Darrell Nulisch album for the best of the crop IMHO. Then there's the late Stevie Ray Vaughan, Ry Cooder ain't half bad.........

Where U @: Sunny Purfleet

NIK NAME Dad

Or as the BONZO DOGS used to say "can blue men sing the whites?"

Art Blakley used to say when drumming that he had a direct connection to the creator through his music, if that ain't from the soul don't know wot is!

Where U @: Milton Keynes

NIK NAME Disco dave

Hmmmmmmmmm, opened up a right hornets nest with this question. I'll add mine for what it's worth. Soul to me is a feeling, apart from being a genre of music of Afro American origin. You either 'feel it' or u don't and it's too each his own as to wether instrumentals are soulful or not. If you think they are -fine. If not-no worries. More importantly who gives a 'f**k wether there are or not.
Regards Dr Bob Jones
'So Soulful-it Hurts!'