The Soulpranos Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Whats all the fuss about "Jazz Funk"

So did anyone vote on Robert Elms this afternoon when he asked "Whats all the fuss about Jazz Funk"
After he asked for peoples top three i found it an impossible task. Most popular tracks seemed to be Expansions,Life on Mars,Always there & not a mention of the likes of Eddie Russ - Zaius (my personal top tune.
Be interested to hear as regards other peoples top jazz funk records or would you find it hard to pick a top three like me ?

Re: Whats all the fuss about "Jazz Funk"

Yeah your right would find it really hard to zone it down to just three but Sausalito must be in there somewhere, and perhaps some Jeff Lorber,what abot Tania Maria "come with Me" and Charles Earland "Intergalactic love song".

Where U @: Crawley

NIK NAME Stacker

Yep, I voted, and as soon as I had changed my mind, again and again and again...

Tony, he played the Charles Earland track!

blimey! nice to hear life on mars on radio in the daytime again.thought i was 20 and it was saturday morning
my three would be
by all means alphonse m
adventures in paradise john klemmer
just around the corner herbie hancock

This will probably change by tomorrow but my top 3 would be....

Jungle Kitten-Manfredo Fest
Black is the colour-Wilbert Longmire
and Westchester Lady-Bob James.

Can't over estimate the effect the Bob James track had on me,summer of 76,back at a party at this black guy Sammy's house in Manor Park.I'd never heard anything so coooooooooooooooooooool in all my life.

Special mention for Harlem Boys by Sonny Rollins too.Recommended to me by a fellow Lacy-goer on the top of an 86 bus,and proved to be a good tip :-)

Where U @: Aveley

Also,if anyone missed Elms' show and wants to see what all the fuss is about :-))) you can listen on demand at www.bbc.co.uk/london/content/articles/2005/10/11/robert_elms_audio_feature.shtml

Right hand side under Robert Elms,left click on Friday and the BBC radio player will pop up.Its about ten or 15 minutes in...

Where U @: Aveley

And the winner is, of course Expansions....

Apparently the best response ever to a "What's all the fuss" showing Bowie, Rolling Stones etc the door...

my three: Joe Sample- many stops along the way
Hiroshi ************* up wind
Cedar Walton-Latin America

three is just not enough!

Today's What's All the Fuss About is........Rare Groove...........

The seven "Rare Groove" tunes, bit of controversy over definition of genre here I fancy (two-step anyone?), played on the Elms' show were:

Leroy Hutson - Love The Feeling
Cymande - Bra
Luther Vandross - The Night I Fell In Love
Jean Tyrell(?) - How Can You Live Without Love
Stevie Parks - Movin In The Right Direction
Betty Wright - Smother Me With Your Love
Roy Ayers - Love Will Bring Us Back Together

For the record the Top 3 I sent in (which will probably change over the next 10 minutes was

1 Sylvia Striplin - Can't Turn Me Away
2 Roberta Gilliam - All I Want Is My Baby
3 Shirley Brown - Love Starved

Yeh! Another impossible task.
At least people were voting for Steve Parkes-Moving in the right direction which would properbly be in my top3.
So did anyone vote, be intrested to hear other peoples top3 rare groove records.