DJS playing Hip-Hop, Soul, Funk & beyond
over 2 floors are…

DJ Spinna (NYC) Exclusive Hip-Hop / Soul Set
Mr Thing (Extended Players),
Benji B (1xtra),
Marc Mac (4-hero/Visioneers)
& DJ Spin Doctor

For this extremely special event marking the launch of
J-Dilla’s latest masterpiece “The Shining” on BBE Records we have gathered some of his biggest fans to pay their respects to one of the greatest Hip-Hop producers to ever live. In his brief 32 years J-Dilla, otherwise known as Jay-Dee or James Yancey created and shaped a new sound for Hip-Hop that inspired beatsmiths, MCs and music lovers around the globe.

With an incredible line of production credits for De La Soul, Tribe Called Quest, Erykah Badu, The Parcyde, Janet Jackson, Busta Rhymes, Common, D’Angelo, his own crew Slum Village and so many more it is little wonder that J-Dilla has been described as a visionary, a genius & the quintessential producers’ producer by some of the most respected names in the game. The fact that both Pharell Williams & Kanye West name him as their major inspiration speaks volumes to the influence of his distinctive “Dilla sound”.

Tonight we have assembled an all-star cast of DJs & producers all of whom have been greatly influenced by this phenomenal producer. They will be playing a fantastic variety of soul, funk & of course Hip-Hop that were influences to, influenced by and in many cases even created by the one and only J-Dilla. Here is what they and many others had to say about the Detroit legend.

DJ Spinna: “Dilla was definitely the most influencial artist to surface in the last 12 years. I was and will always be one of his biggest fans. I'm also so glad to have had the opportunity to know him personally. Although his physical presence will be missed, his music will always keep me on my toes. He left a serious legacy behind and now it's time for all the late bloomers to play catch up”

Mr Thing: “He changed the whole way i made beats and listened to breaks forever, he's left a legacy of classic music for future generations to discover.”

Marc Mac: “Dilla's style became the backbone of hip hop, not just underground Hip-Hop but Hip hop period."

DJ Spin Doctor: “It is that soulful sound, of which Dilla was the master, that grabbed be my the ear and made me love Hip-Hop. Drenched in the vibes of the Motown and Philly sounds I already loved he created beats that have never left my box.”
Benji B “To me simply the greatest and most inspiring beat maker there ever was.”

"one of the most important musicians of our time. When we think of John Coltrane, Charlie Parker, Miles Davis, Stevie Wonder, and Marvin Gaye, J Dilla will be going down along that history line of greatness." - Common (from XXL)

"He inspired me so much. One of the best days of my life was when he handed me a record with drums on it. I was so honored." - Kanye West (from XXL)

"He was amazing. He makes other ****** sound lazy and crazy. I cherished his friendship. We did things in the same vein, but he took it to a level higher than me. So in his name I'm gonna turn it up on these ********* - Pete Rock (in Scratch)

"Dilla was the illest producer I have ever worked with. I truly believe he was every producer's favorite producer... He was slept on as a rapper... His discography is crazy, man. He always reminded me of the producer version of Tupac. Always, always working on beats, even in his hospital bed. He had truly mastered his craft." - Phife (from Elemental)

"He was my right hand, left hand, my friend, my brother, and although he is gone, he is still chopping the beat, finding the loop, dusting off the MPC, and helping me out, but from another place. His contribution not only to me but to hip-hop is quietly enormous and as long as I'm here, he lives." - Q-Tip (from Scratch)

Where U @: London

NIK NAME Spinster